Same query different Execution plan on two different server

• Same database, same tables, same query but running on two different servers bringing two different execution plans. plan1_server1 gets executed in under 2 secs but plan2_server2 gets executed in 8 seconds. Both returns the same number of rows. Can anybody help me out here looking at these two execution plans? What do i need to do on server 2, to get the result at the similar speed?

--SQL_Surfer

• SQL_Surfer - Saturday, July 15, 2017 9:15 PM

Same database, same tables, same query but running on two different servers bringing two different execution plans. plan1_server1 gets executed in under 2 secs but plan2_server2 gets executed in 8 seconds. Both returns the same number of rows. Can anybody help me out here looking at these two execution plans? What do i need to do on server 2, to get the result at the similar speed?

--SQL_Surfer

Update statistics on both databases and try again.

• SQL_Surfer - Saturday, July 15, 2017 9:15 PM

Same database, same tables, same query but running on two different servers bringing two different execution plans. plan1_server1 gets executed in under 2 secs but plan2_server2 gets executed in 8 seconds. Both returns the same number of rows. Can anybody help me out here looking at these two execution plans? What do i need to do on server 2, to get the result at the similar speed?

--SQL_Surfer

Neither SSMS nor SQL Sentry Plan Explorer will open these files.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• files are actually zip files with a sqlplan extension.

On Plan1_server1 you can see the estimated and actual number of rows are way off(estimated = 91.2K, actual = 1.8K, so I wholeheartedly agree that you should update statistics first.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• The files inside the zips are .queryanalysis files along with some JSON file. I have to ask. What are these and where do they come from?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I ran against SQLSentry and generated the file. It saves as .queryanalysis  file. But I couldn't upload them. So, I had to rename them as .sqlplan.

• SQL_Surfer - Monday, July 17, 2017 8:12 AM

I ran against SQLSentry and generated the file. It saves as .queryanalysis  file. But I couldn't upload them. So, I had to rename them as .sqlplan.

Oh, that explains why I can't see anything. I don't have SQLSentry tools. Sorry, can't help here.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• I notice on Server1 the execution plan went parallel in multiple places, does Server1 have more CPU cores in it than Server2?  That could be a contributing factor in it coming up with a different plan.  Here's a good article with some things to consider that affect the plan on different servers:
    https://sqlperformance.com/2014/12/sql-plan/different-plans-identical-servers

• Good catch. CPU and memory and I/O same. But tempdb config is slightly different. I've tempdb split inot 8 files on server 1 vs 1 file. Would that cause parallel plan on server 1?

• SQL_Surfer - Monday, July 17, 2017 12:07 PM

Good catch. CPU and memory and I/O same. But tempdb config is slightly different. I've tempdb split inot 8 files on server 1 vs 1 file. Would that cause parallel plan on server 1?

That wouldn't, but differences in the MAXDOP setting or the Cost Threshold for Parallelism could. Are these the same.
    Also, has anyone checking the plans looked at the ANSI settings, etc., to see if there are possible reasons the plan compiling two different ways apart from statistics (which seems to be the likely culprit). I'd do this but since the plans aren't in standard format, I can't help.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• MAXDOP setting or the Cost Threshold for Parallelism  are same. optimize for ad hoc workloads is 1 on server 1 vs 0 on server 2. Would that be it?

• OK, if CPU, memory, disks setup the same, have you checked the "cost threshold for parallelism" and "max degree of processing" on the 2 servers?

More importantly, looking deeper into the plans, it looks like Server2's plan has a Remote Query for table MasterClientSetUp but that table on Server1 is not Remote, so on Server1 the RealTimeWebApp_Stage database is on the same instance.  Even though it looks like a low portion of the query cost, I suspect this could be a big factor in the time difference.

• That was it. Thank you so much Chris. You are a life savor!!!! Appreciate y'all for help.

• So, when we use linked server (remote query) in the join, is it safe to assume that we won't ever get parallel query plan?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply