sa password

• One of the servers I inherited has a blank sa password.

(SQL 2000) I obviously need to change that. My question is can I do this with out doing a reboot or changing anything else. If I go to the login and just change the password is everything going to go crazy?

PS. Does anyone know where I can get a list of sessions for this years PASS conference

Thanks

-WM

• 1. it does not need reboot.

2. If any applicaiton is using sa login to connect to SQL database then you need to modify application(s) also

• there are no apps that are using this to connect. The system databases are owned by the sa account. I was sure if that would have an effect on anything. But as far as the apps are concerned I should be fine

Thanks

-WM

• then go for it 😀

• Changing the password only affects things that connect with the app. So an application, potentially jobs or other scripts/programs that might use this.

However a blank password, especially SA, is a bad idea. I'd change it, and then deal with issues. Monitor the system for the next few weeks and look for issues. I might even set a server-side Profiler trace up that just looks for sa logins and records the IP and app being used.

• As far as PASS sessions this year, abstracts to PASS are due by March 28th so nothing is set.

DAB

• Thanks to all

see you at PASS

-WM

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply