sa account IsLocked?

• DW did something with the sa account and/or password. She doesn't remember what nor what she used to do it.

Now I can't figure out how to fix this. As Administrator of the box (BUILTINAdministrators account still alive and well - we haven't hardened the box yet), I get the following popup error box:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

------------------------------

Cannot show requested dialog.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Cannot show requested dialog. (SqlMgmt)

Property IsLocked is not available for Login '[sa]'. This property may not exist for this object, or may not be retrievable due to insufficient access rights.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.1399.00&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.PropertyCannotBeRetrievedExceptionText&EvtID=IsLocked&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

I'm able to run the following in SMS without any errors, but it doesn't do a thing about re-setting the password:

LOGIN sa WITH PASSWORD = 'MyNewP4ssw0rd!' UNLOCK

Any suggestions? There's nothing with the IsLocked keyword on Microsoft anywhere regarding this problem. Just stuff about locking a cell in excel.

Please help!

• Did the user who is runninG ALTER LOGIN command has 'sa' access?

Try login to the server as administrator and open the query window and run the ALTER login command...

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• Thanks for the try, but I stated in the original request that I had signed in as local Administrator and that BUILTIN Administrators group was still set up, so I should haven't any permissions issues. Got another idea for me? We really are lost on this one.

Thanks

• I ran into the same error in SQL Server Management Studio when a database owner's login was dropped.  Becaue it was not finding the property that it expected ( ie the database owner) when I tried to view properties, SQL Server Management studio gave me the same error.  I assumed that it was the SA ID as well, but it was not, just the database owner.      

I had to fix it "Old School", by going into a CMD prompt window.  Using OSQL, and issuing the commands in the text window..... 1>>sp_changeDBOwner.....

Once my "Old School" fix was in place, management studio worked again. 

Hope that this helps.

Eric Peterson 

• Try disabling the Enforce password policy...

Security/Logins/sa/Properties/unchecked: Enforce password policy.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=306429&SiteID=1

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• Any luck with fixing this?  I am also running into this problem with a few accounts in the server, including the sa account.  I've tried resetting the passwords with the ALTER LOGIN sa WITH PASSWORD = 'new_password' UNLOCK command, but no luck, I still get the same error.

• Just try disabling the enforce password policy. It works!

• ....anything happened after disableing the password policy!?

:hehe:

============================================================
    SELECT YOUR PROBLEM FROM SSC.com WHERE PROBLEM DESCRIPTION =
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]

• I have the same issue with sql logins not working if the account has check_policy enabled. I am using Guids for the sql accounts so they clearly meet password policy (I even tried changing them to meet all 5 criteria instead of 3 of 5). My problem only occurs on SQL 2005 isntallations that are clustered.

Has anyone found a bug fix for this yet? The exact symptoms are the usaual access denied messages trying to logon to the server with that account and also using SSMS to see properties on the account gives an islocked message as mentioned earlier in this thread. The servers ae various SQL2005 sp2 builds from RTM to hotfix 3.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply