Ruthless

• Bob Hovious (4/9/2009)

G: Do you prioritize what needs to be done first, or just take things on a FIFO basis?

Prioritize where that's clear, FIFO if priority isn't clear.

For example, with e-mails, I'll sort by priority, then by "chain" then by date. Then I just take the first one in that list, then the second, etc.

Sounds crazy till you try it for a while, then you'll generally find that you get so much more done that it's remarkable.

This isn't something I just came up with. I've worked in offices where this was the suggested operating practice, and more got done in less time, with less stress, than anywhere else I've worked that had a different standard practice.

Even in offices where this isn't standard, I operate this way as much as possible, and even with a heavy workload by most people's standards, I still end up with time to do things like post way too often on SSC, and still get more done in less time than is expected by managers, etc.

I'm ahead of deadline on all my projects right now. Usually am. And it's not because I'm some amazing, incredible, super-fast person. It's because I don't do stuff twice if I can possibly avoid it. Do it right the first time, and do it when I pick it up. Don't procrastinate, just get it done.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I think it's interesting how we decide what is a 'have to' vs ' want to'. I don't have to blog 5 days a week, but I've made the commitment to do so. Good decision or bad? I see some value beyond just 'wanting to', but it's 1-2 hours a week that has to come from somewhere. As long as I get the other work done and don't complain about hours - all is good. If I cut 2 hours from 'have to' work to blog, that's a valid choice, but I'd argue perhaps not the best one.

We're all lucky enough not to be in the widget business. If you got paid per widget off the assembly line, then it's easy to see that blogging (or whatever) is less important than widgeting and as humans it's easier to reset our priorities.

• Talk about time sinks:

I-pod great that I can put music on the thing but then I run out of space now what? I spend time creating play lists, moving music on and off, losing the database.

This same issue is true of Facebook, Twitter, Linked In etc…YOU! need to keep it current.

We are looking for a way to connect without the maintenance overhead. We the developers, software architects, and just plan everyday people are looking for an easier and less time consuming path. We keep creating and or using new technology to end up in the same place…too much time required to keep the information and site useful and relevant.

Sure the I-phone and any smart phone is nice but that is just mobility, nothing really new there. The same with the new “Home Phone” from Verizon, computer meets phone again…nothing new, nothing revolutionary here.

It is in the data, there is an inherent interconnectedness (or lack thereof), we just have to find a way to interpret and share what is unseen today.

In the meantime I appreciate the comments as I too am in this daily mode of not enough time, but happy for the struggle.--Eric

• Overcommitments - used to do that a lot. No more. "Just Say No." Biggest time-saver of all.

I use an iPod. Loaded it with all my music - which did take some time - and never touched it since. Now I just enjoy it on my hikes out on the trails. It's been great and even though I hiked for years with no music, and sometimes still do, it has been fun to have the music with me out there.

TV -- very limited time spent there. 50 years ago Newton Minow called it "a vast wasteland"... and basically, he was right. Except now it's even a "vaster" wasteland.

Being Ruthless. When it comes to your time, you have to be. It's a binary decision to spend time on something - or not. Time is very limited, and more of it can't be bought no matter how much money you have. So being ruthless is appropriate.

Agree with GSquared about not going through emails (or anything else) twice. Handle it now if you can.

Balance - important thing to keep in mind as we decide how to spend our time.

• Steve - have you ever thought about not sending a newsletter on the weekend, but combine it into a larger Monday newsletter. If there is something exceptional then send out a special newsletter. You may need to ask this to a larger forum - but it may be a time saver.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply