Running SQL Server 2005 on 4 Dual-Core CPUs 64 bit

• Hello!

We are planning following setup for  our production SQL Server:

OS - Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition
    SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition
    16 GB RAM
    4 Dual-Core CPUs 64 bit

I was wondering if anybody is running SQL Server 2005 on Dual-Core 64 bit CPUs. Are there any know issues with this?  Would it be better to with Intel or AMD?

Thank you in advance,
    Igor
  • That's pretty new stuff!  We're looking forward to what YOU have to say.  This is a database server, right?  I didn't even realize that 2003 was available yet in 64 bit.  I know that XP came out about a month ago; but there are few drivers, and no applications, so as well as it worked by itself, everything else was running in a compatibility mode and it wasn't worth using.  My son kept it configured for about two hours and reverted to the 32 bit OS.  He was using an AMD 3400+, I think.  It will be interesting to know if dual core and SQL is a plus.  Hyperthreading is not.  Don't forget to turn on AWE (Advanced Windowing Extensions) to use all of that memory

Cheers,

david russell

• David, he won't need AWE if he has 64-bit Windows and SQL Server.  All the memory will be directly addressable.  That's one of the biggest features of 64-bit computing.  The dual core processors are true processors as opposed to they HTT virtual processor model, so there is a substantial increase in performance.  You don't get the entire L2 cache per processor so far, because they haven't scaled them that far yet, but it's considerable faster than a single core.  Since MS is sticking to licensing by socket, you basically get the other processor for free.

From everything I have heard, the AMD chips are faster with SQL Server than the Intel.  I am speaking off the top of my head though, when I should be looking at benchmarks. 

We're looking at this same purchase to replace our production pair and a data warehouseing pair for 2006.  Post the results of how everything goes.  We would appreciate it.

Derrick Leggett
    Mean Old DBA
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

•    I will certainly keep you posted if we decide to go this route. At this moment, I would be very curious to learn if someone has real experience implementing similar solution.

Igor

• Derrick, good point... of course that was a brain-dead comment.

Is the OS available?  I did not receive it to the best of my knowledge.

Cheers,

david russell

• imarchenko,

I'd be very interested in your findings as I've just specked the very sames set up, although we're restricted to Intel.

HWUK

• We will be upgrading our server early February. Stay tuned.

• I was just checking the config for the x64 sql server 2005 server install , and see that is say you need windows 2003 sp1. I can't find any reference to the x64 sp1 version on the microsoft site, only the 32bit and Intel ones.

Any idea's

Steven

• Question Answered - The base cd's for the x64 os already has sp1 applied.

Steven

• We are running a very similar setup.

OS - Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition 64 bit
    SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition 64 bit
    32 GB RAM
    4 Intel Xeon Dual-Core 3.4 Ghz CPUs

Currently we have HT turned on, but I am in discussions with our Sys Admins about maybe turning that off.

Have any of you run into any "Gotcha" issues with similar setups that I nned to be aware of?

Thanks,
    Keith

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply