Running a sql server 2008 job to back up to network folder

• Not sure if this will help but I once ran itno something similar.

I changed the server name to it's ip address and the unc and is started working.

• Steve,

When i ran accessenum on the box, it did show me that the user i am logged in has read and write access to the shared folder.

• Can you run the "dir" job from Agent and have that work?

It's definitely a strange error. It's almost like you have some token or kereberos issue with the job.

If you manually run the backup, does that work?

• Have you tried relaxing the permissions for the share?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Capture a Process Monitor trace on the destination server and check if the account requesting access on the share is showing up as anonymous. It could be an impersonation issue.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    My Blog: TroubleshootingSQL
    Twitter: @banerjeeamit

• Free download EaseUS Todo Backup Advanced Server[/url] to backup your database (2000 2005 2008) with backup schedule (daily weekly monthly) to automatic backup SQL Server.

• We're running into the same user. I made sure the following:

- running SQL 2008 SQL Agent as a Windows admin account called "SqlService"

- ensured that that account has full access to the UNC directory

- I can create a backup file to a local folder through the job

- it warns me on the manual backup file that it can't verify the UNC location

- I tried mapping the UNC to a drive letter without success (cannot find the path specified)

- I tried logging in as myself (a windows admin, sql server sysadmin) to backup to any network drive (cannot find the path specified)

Just don't know how to proceed from here. I can't get a directory in the job, as asked by Steve Jones.

• Have a look at the recent article regarding sql server jobs[/url]

• I'm having the same issue. My sqlservice and agent accounts have full access to the cifs. I can manually browse and create/delete folders while logged on as those accounts.

My backup maintenance plan is run by a SQL Server login, but does not complete a backup to the cifs. Fails with access denied.

• Check that there is no space on the end of the database name

• Bouncing the box worked for me. I believe it had something to do with SPN registration.

• Did you get solution to this? I have same issue? Agent service account has full access on shared folder. Manually I can create files inside the folder but SQL job fails. I tried using \\Server\folder , \\server\Z$\folder and as mapped network drive but nothing works.

• for your acount no permission to write the data on the network folder

possible soluation : give permissions on network folder for your acount

• Your SQL Server account has to have the access to the shred drive. It means the account that your SQL Server service runs on has to have read/write/delete permissions on the network share. If the SQL Server Service account runs under the Network Service then you would have to add the computer account rights to the shared folder.

Regards,

N.

• Just happened to run into this issue and SQL Agent Job history is misleading as BOL says

"Backing Up to a File on a Network Share

For SQL Server to access a remote disk file, the SQL Server service account must have access to the network share. This includes having the permissions needed for backup operations to write to the network share and for restore operations to read from it. The availability of network drives and permissions depends on the context is which SQL Server service is running..."

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/ms179313(v=sql.105).aspx

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply