Running a production SQL environment on a virtual server

• VMWare is good product but not for SQL Servers. I will prefer Microsoft Virtual OS 2005 rather than VM. As nobody knows better than Microsoft about there products. top of that if problem arises, you have to call 2 company for support (MS & VM). MS doesn't support SQL Server 2005 Witness Server on VMWare, if you are configuring Database Mirroring with Witness. VMWare becomes 2rd layer between SQL Server & Operating Syste.

I don't work for either of this companies, but still there will be problem iregardless how robust VMWARE will be. because VMware doesn't knows how UMS scheduler for SQL Server 2000 or SQLOS in SQL Server 2005 works. This scheduler is well explained by Ken Henderson, who is not around us but he is with us through his books and UMS\SQLOS is nother complex subject.

one of my colleague told me what is VMware, i told him that VMWare is like a fantasy you dream at night when you go to sleep.

So my vote for VMWARE is NO No No No for Production SQL Servers.

• This thread absolutely fascinates me, largely because of the diversity of opinions...

One question for the masses: VMWare vs. the competition? VMWare has had a pretty commanding lead in the virtualization market for some time but the next wave of virtualization products from competitors including MS, Citrix, Red Hat, etc. are coming on strong. Anyone here in a VMWare shop that's considering jumping to any of the competitors - why?

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply