Running a DTS package error

• Hi there,

I’m wondering if anyone has any thoughts regarding the problem below. I’m attempting to resolve this without much knowledge of the setup, the package or SQL 2000 in general which is proving tricky!

The DTS package I am running appears to:

- locate an excel spreadsheet file on a server share

- Validate the source file against the database and record a log by inserting rows into a table

- If it passes validation update certain records in the database.

The machine I am running this from is not the server itself. We have permissions to the database for which this DTS package is trying to write to, however we don't have permissions to the share where the source file is located.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to where the permissions problem lies?

Having search this error on the forum the other possibilities such as space and ram don't appear to be a problem.

Many thanks,

• matty_o_connor01 (5/1/2009)

however we don't have permissions to the share where the source file is located.

My guess is that's the issue right there. If you don't have permissions on the share how can you expect to connect to the file to read it? At the very least you'd need read permissions on the share and the file. If you modify the file at all you'd need read and change on the share and read/modify/execute/ on the file.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply