run as administrator

• I install SQL server 2005 develop version on my local computer windows 7.

But each time I run i have to click SSMS and run as administrator, what does that mean, I'm the administrator of this computer. And I'm the only one use it.

I know there is a way to remove it by click the SSMS property - windows xp compatiblity mode.

But I don't understand why windows 7 do this?

Thanks

• It is supposed to be enhanced security and is normal behavior in windows 7.

There is a way to modify that behavior through the use of group policy and secpol.msc

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Thanks, but not sure how for this one it enhances security for using ssms?

• SQLMyFriend (4/22/2011)

Thanks, but not sure how for this one it enhances security for using ssms?

You're not the only one asking that - nor are you the only one frustrated by it.;-)

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Its new security,Its just a pop up we can say also because we are administrator too,if we are removing and executing some critical stuff then its appear

Regards,

Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan

MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog

http://www.aureus-salah.com

Regards,
    Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

• In today's world I believe the more security the better.....:-D

• Why don't you just change the shortcut to run as Administrator in the Compatibility settings? There is a "Privilege Level" to run this program as administrator:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11841-run-administrator.html

But yes, it is done on purpose, similar to having to run programs in Linux using the "sudo" command. I don't know why SSMS must be run with these permissions though.

• I might ask if you really need to run SSMS as an administrator constantly? If it's to connect as an admin to the SQL Servers, then I'd change the compatibility, but if you can get by without it, it's a good habit to run as a normal account when possible.

You also might think about making your normal account a SQL server sysadmin (as part of a group) and not running as admin on your machine. that way if some malicious process is run because someone sent it to you, it doesn't have admin rights.

• Good point Steve. I was just going under the assumption that the OP was experiencing a problem with his particular SSMS installation. I just double-checked mine and my SSMS runs without asking for administrative permissions.

To the OP: try downloading the SSMS 2008 utility. That will probably be more inclined to run properly on Windows 7. I use SSMS 2008 to administer my 2005 servers without any problems.

*edited to correct spelling*

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply