Run a deployed report (*.rdl) from command line

• Hi All,

is there any way we can run the SSRS report deployed on ReportServer from command line utility...?

• You might be able to do this with the rs.exe utility, or perhaps by creating a commandline application with VB/C# etc that makes a call to the resportserver2005 web service.

Most likely I'd see this as something were you'd need to specify the report output to be a file location and then grab the file from your network share...

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Hi Luke,

Thanks for the reply...!!!

we are thinking to use RS.exe

the reuirement is to execute RS.EXE thru the command line from a stored procedure and render the report into PDF and upload that document into sharepoint 2010

if u have any sample/links using RS.exe to execute the report..can u pls share it

• The following link has more information on how to accomplish this task using rs.exe

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/1398b94a-be3b-4943-8305-2e7e2b7cca05/ Basically it requires writing a console app in vb.net and then using rs.exe to execute it... I think.

however, I have to wonder, why is it a requirement that this be a) from the command line (which will require enabling xp_cmdshell which is best to be left disabled if you don't need it) and b) called from a stored procedure?

Have you explored calling this report from an SSIS task? you can embed your stored procedure logic and then execute it via SSIS. More info about it here...http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=5918

Alternatively, you can create a subscription with a file destination for this report and the appropriate parameters to execute it with. When you do that, it will create a SQL agent job that will execute the report with the appropriate parameters you specified. You can use the name of that SQL agent job combined with sp_start_job from SSIS, a stored procedure or any other place you can execute TSQL from, or writing your own app.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply