routine maintenance plan

• Does anyone have a checklist (or suggested link or book) for a routine maintenance plan to be done on a database server? There are many resources if you know a specific task you wish to perform, but I'm putting togeather a checklist and want to make sure that I don't miss anything. I'm also interested in what routine maintenance other DBA's are performing.

• The standard maintenance plan generated by the wizard in EM fulfills most of my needs.

Andy

• I mainly use EM mainenance for backups, db daily and log every hour 8 am - 8pm.- optimizations and intergirty checks on all Db at least once a week.

• I used to use the maintenance plans for backups, but my issue is when there is an issue, I don't get good reporting.

Things you should worry about:

Backups

Integrity checks (dbccs) weekly

Business checks (data integrity)

Monitor performance (at least periodically)

Monitor growth of data

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Depends on the system as to what needs to be performed.

(I don't like the maintenance plans - especially as I've seen systems messed up by them - you can code everything needed and schedule it so why not, then you are more confident about what is going on)

Probably (but not always) every system needs backups - schedule depends on the sytem but usually a daily full and differential and tran log if needed (I like to avoid tran log if possible).

Space - probably should have something to monitor file sizes and table growth (I have a daily report of number of rows in tables and space taken and file sizes). This will also show if someone has dumped something large on the server.

Integrity checks (dbcc) - I never run these on a working server (left over from v6.5-). If you have a non 24 hr system then you can run them when offline otherwise I like to copy a backup to another server, restore it and run them there (also gives an offline copy of the database).

Index/statistics - I like to build systems so that these don't need to be updated but if not it will have to be on a system by system basis, if you need to do it frequently then you should probably revisit the design.

Cursors never.
    DTS - only when needed and never to control.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply