Rounding Numerics

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Rounding Numerics

• Another QOTD where the explanation would only leave the inexperienced wondering...The correct response was to indicate the setting which would give an error but the explanation contradicts the answer...

At the end of most articles is a small blurb called a person's signature which exists to provide information about how to get in touch with the person posting, including their email address, phone number, address, or where they're located. Signatures have become the graffiti of computers. People put song lyrics, pictures, philosophical quotes, even advertisements in them. (Note, however, that advertising in your signature will more often than provoke negative responses until you take it out.)

• With

SET ARITHABORT OFF; -- or ON, it doesn't matter 
    SET NUMERIC_ROUNDABORT OFF;

I will not get a warning (contrary to the explanation). But with NUMERIC_ROUNDABORT ON I will get an arithmetic overflow error (regardless how ARITHABORT is set and regardles if the error really happens or I just add 1 + 2 without any decimal places in the two variables).

PS: Using SQL 2022 Developer.

God is real, unless declared integer.

• Apologies if you don't like the explanation. Helpful critiques or comments might include what you think is wrong with the wording. The problem is an error from loss of precision, which you can suppress or allow with these settings. To correct this, you can either change a setting or adjust a datatype, however, we don't give guidance here, because there isn't a good way to say what is appropriate. It would depend on the problem domain.

The value of Arithabort does appear to matter to me because I see this on 2017/2019/2022.

-- no error
    SET ARITHABORT OFF
    SET NUMERIC_ROUNDABORT OFF

-- no error
    SET ARITHABORT ON

-- error
    SET ARITHABORT OFF
    SET NUMERIC_ROUNDABORT ON

SET ARITHABORT ON

Entire test script included here, the NULLs in the result sets correspond to the errors. Welcome to hear from anyone that doesn't match my results. It is entirely possible there are different SET settings for me/you that affect this in some other way other than ARITHABORT or NUMERIC_ROUNDABORT.

SET ARITHABORT OFF
    GO
    DECLARE @result DECIMAL(5, 2),
    @value_1 DECIMAL(5, 4),
    @value_2 DECIMAL(5, 4);
    SET @value_1 = 1.1234;
    SET @value_2 = 1.1234 ;
    SELECT @result = @value_1 + @value_2;
    SELECT 'Arith off, numeric off', @result;
    GO
    SET ARITHABORT ON
    GO
    @value_1 DECIMAL(5, 4),
    @value_2 DECIMAL(5, 4);
    SET @value_1 = 1.1234;
    SET @value_2 = 1.1234 ;
    SELECT 'Arith on, numeric oFF', @result;
    GO
    SET ARITHABORT OFF
    GO
    @value_1 DECIMAL(5, 4),
    @value_2 DECIMAL(5, 4);
    SET @value_1 = 1.1234;
    SET @value_2 = 1.1234 ;
    SELECT 'Arith off, numeric on', @result;
    GO
    SET ARITHABORT ON
    GO
    @value_1 DECIMAL(5, 4),
    @value_2 DECIMAL(5, 4);
    SET @value_1 = 1.1234;
    SET @value_2 = 1.1234 ;
    SELECT 'Arith on, numeric on', @result;
    GO

• Maybe a typo in the explanation highlighted in red below?

What setting of NUMERIC_ROUNDABORT will return an error from this code?

The correct answers are:

Explanation

When this is set to OFF, an error is returned because of the loss of precision.

From the MS info page: When SET NUMERIC_ROUNDABORT is ON, an error is generated after a loss of precision occurs in an expression. If set to OFF, losses of precision don't generate error messages. The result is rounded to the precision of the column or variable storing the result.

• Thanks, typo for sure. It's fixed.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply