ROUND or CONVERT the output of the POWER function

• I went forward with the "Convert to float method with rounding to 6 (significant figures)" method above. It matches the Excel calc,  avoids arithmetic overflow errors,  produces output with enough precision and I can control the precision of the data output to the downstream system.  Appreciate everyone here who is willing to share their expertise.

• If you want to avoid an error if zero is passed in you can use this with an IIF:

ROUND(T.C, 6 - FLOOR(IIF(T.C=0, 0, LOG10(ABS(T.C)))))
  • Jonathan AC Roberts wrote:

If you want to avoid an error if zero is passed in you can use this with an IIF:

ROUND(T.C, 6 - FLOOR(IIF(T.C=0, 0, LOG10(ABS(T.C)))))

Yes I have incorporated IIF into my current code but neglected to include that in my most recent posted example.

Here is how I am documenting this according my somewhat limited understanding of the method.

Thanks Again.

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS #Test
    CREATE TABLE #Test (StartValue DECIMAL (30,6),ProjectedValue DECIMAL (30,6),StartDate DATE,ProjectedValueDate DATE)
    INSERT INTO #Test (StartValue,ProjectedValue,StartDate,ProjectedValueDate) VALUES (102,150,'2022-12-05','2023-12-31')
    INSERT INTO #Test (StartValue,ProjectedValue,StartDate,ProjectedValueDate) VALUES (73.93,173,'2022-12-05','2023-12-31')
    INSERT INTO #Test (StartValue,ProjectedValue,StartDate,ProjectedValueDate) VALUES (29.210000,43.000000,'2023-01-31','2023-02-16')--outlier

--Use Round to reduce precision to approximately 6 decimal places
    --The output of LOG10 which is the inverse of the POWER function is subtracted from the ROUND length to return significant digits
    SELECT ROUND(T.C, 6 - FLOOR(IIF(T.C=0, 0, LOG10(ABS(T.C))))),
    T.C AS PowerOutput,
    LOG10(T.C) AS Log10Output,
    FLOOR(LOG10(T.C)) AS FloorLog10Output

,StartValue,ProjectedValue,StartDate,ProjectedValueDate
    FROM
    (
    SELECT
    POWER
    (
    CONVERT(FLOAT,ProjectedValue/StartValue),
    CONVERT(FLOAT,365)/COALESCE((NULLIF(DATEDIFF(d,StartDate,ProjectedValueDate),0)),365)
    ) - 1 C,
    StartValue,ProjectedValue,StartDate,ProjectedValueDate
    FROM #Test
    ) T;

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply