Rollback percentage is still 0?

• I have an update query (updates a db on another server) that only ran for a couple of minutes, but has been in a killed/rollback (command) state for at least 3 hours.

When I run "KILL 299 WITH STATUSONLY", I get the following:

SPID 299: transaction rollback in progress. Estimated rollback completion: 0%. Estimated time remaining: 0 seconds.

I really don't want to restart SQL, but it's affecting performance. Maybe when I start SQL back up, this rollback will finish quicker?

The other server that this query updates was rebooted about 2 hours into the rollback process.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

• Read this before making further decisions.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/psssql/archive/2008/09/12/sql-server-2000-2005-2008-recovery-rollback-taking-longer-than-expected.aspx

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• I finally stopped SQL and it ended the "orphaned" rollback process. When SQL started back up, I did not see the rollback continue and finish.

All is well now - So that's a relief. Thanks for the link

• Glad that worked. Typically I would start looking at the wait stats for the rollback process to ensure that it is actually doing something. Regardless, glad things cleared up.

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply