RIP: Sir Terry Pratchett

• I know there's lots of SF/F readers here, I thought I should post the grim news.

He passed in his sleep at age 66 of a peculiar form of Alzheimer's. I had the privilege and honor of meeting him at a Tempe Discworld convention and getting his scribbled signature in a limited edition hardback of Good Omens. I think I have all of the fiction that he ever published and a goodly amount of his non-fiction.

He shall be sorely missed. Rowling may have sold more copies of Harry Potter, but Sir Pterry wrote over 40 books.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31858156

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• I'm reading the last new Sam Vimes book I'll ever read and I'm not happy about it.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Tell me about it. I picked up his book of things he'd written as a very young man, it came out earlier this year. They're sorta YA and children's stories, but quite fun and you feel a foreshadowing that this was the genesis of Discworld.

I've met a number of authors over the years: Fred Saberhagen, Harry Harrison, L. Sprague DeCamp and his wife. It always hits you hard when you lose one that you've met whose work you've loved.

*sigh*

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply