revlogin

• how do i get just the sql logins using sp_help_revlogin?

• jsb1212 (12/14/2009)

how do i get just the sql logins using sp_help_revlogin?

sp_help_revlogin serves a specific purpose: scripting out the commands to create the logins, complete with the password. it has output that looks like this:

-- Login: bob

CREATE LOGIN [bob] WITH PASSWORD = 0x0100A6CE867643093B664A1A9DCDFAFFD0B10711A847D74EA971 HASHED, SID = 0x2DB5FBE4EB1AC748B1F9108F23F2424E, CHECK_POLICY = ON, CHECK_EXPIRATION = OFF

-- Login: jeff

CREATE LOGIN [jeff] WITH PASSWORD = 0x01005CA0B17148F93640D050F0B9131827E869105247752CF8C1 HASHED, SID = 0xEE55FE87C32A284F9C767554AE980865, CHECK_POLICY = ON, CHECK_EXPIRATION = OFF

-- Login: NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users

CREATE LOGIN [NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users] FROM WINDOWS

-- Login: webdev

CREATE LOGIN [webdev] WITH PASSWORD = 0x0100A0710DCC125B265143BEDA8F8E2CD5A22921B735AECF1245 HASHED, SID = 0x1E78DDE589D7854FA03C07F636987B75, CHECK_POLICY = OFF, CHECK_EXPIRATION = OFF

-

if you just need the names of the logins, you just want to hit one of the sys vliews like syslogins:

select name from syslogins

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thank you, but how do i get just the sql logins in the output? i dont need the other logins in the output because i need to automate it

• i THINK i understood what you are after;

it's still looking in the same view i mentioned.

try this, and comment/uncomment the WHERE/AND statements to see the differences:

select name,* from syslogins

where isntgroup = 0

and isntuser = 0

and name not like '##%'

and name <> 'sa'

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• sorry for not being clear enough. i need to automate the sp_help_revlogin and get the output into a folder all through a job(s). That includes getting just sql logins as output into the folder. so this is the whole situation. Thank you once again

• BCP is what you would use to get a table or query's results into a file; you'll really need to read Books On Line for the syntax, as I rarely use it.

you'd use BCP twice, once for running master..sp_help_revlogin, and another for "select name,* from syslogins where isntgroup = 0 and isntuser = 0 and name not like '##%' and name <> 'sa'"

once you get the BCP syntax down, you can create a job that does it.

show us what you've got so far, so we can help you better; talking theory is one thing, helping you tweak an actual SQL statement is what we are best able to do.

Lowell

• This is what i was trying. sorry if im wrong. I wanted to use a cursor and add the stored procedures in between.

Declare cursor_fetchrevlogin cursor

For

select name, * from syslogins

where isntgroup=0

and isntuser=0

and sysadmin=0

and name <> 'sa'

Open cursor_fetchrevlogin

Fetch Next from cursor_fetchrevlogin

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

-- The Stored procedures hexadecimal and revlogin

Fetch Next from cursor_fetchrevlogin

END

CLOSE cursor_fetchrevlogin

DEALLOCATE cursor_fetchrevlogin

• I dont exactly get what you are trying. But if it is smthng like Scripting the output of sp_help_revlogin for specific logins and then storing it in a specifc place then it can be done by

On your job the script would look like

sp_help_revlogin 'user1'

sp_help_revlogin 'user2'

//u can also make it dynamic using cursor/while loop.

On the advanced tab in under edit of step of a job you have a option to store the result of a job to a file.

If you want to make your file name dynamic think of bit of smart usage

of xp_cmdshell/copy at the next step of your job..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply