Revisited: RAID10 vs RAID1 SQL

• Perry Whittle (7/18/2011)

Jeez, we're not still flogging this dead horse are we 😀

Ha! I suppose so. Thanks for the readjustment.

I should have either said: "GOTO 10". Or perhaps linked to a more complete thread as to the difference between RAID 1 and 10.

Thanks Perry!

Jim Murphy
    http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
    @SQLMurph

• invulnarable27 (7/18/2011)

I would like a further explanation of why I should keep the tempdb on the RAID10 array along with the data file. Why not the RAID1 array with the OS/tlogs?

My reason for preferring to keep logs and tempdb separate is that log activity is primarily sequential, whereas tempdb is essentially random.

• Thank you everyone very much for your expertise and suggestions. I really do appreciate it. 😉

I will take all your advice into consideration.

• In the end, i recommend you the following:

1. RAID-1 for OC and Transaction files (for Tempdb and your application's DB)

2. RAID-10 for Data file (for Tempdb and your application's DB)

!!!!!!!!DON'T FORGET about baseline and continuous Monitoring. 😉

• 6 disks phew.

Interesting that the size of your database never came up, also what is you workload.

It might not be entirely SAN or extreme material but you can do your best at getting it right.

With a new setup you have a whole bag of advantages, even if it's just 6 disks.

Data, Log and tempdb all have different IO patterns. I wouldn't go raid 5 you simply don't have enough drives. RAID 10 would be an option but really putting all your eggs in one basket.

Where is your backups going to go ? the same drives or another storage unit.

How big is you databases and how big do you anticipate them to grow and most of all, how long before you can buy more kit.

Cheers

Jannie

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply