Returning max and min dates based on a group by

• I hope I word this correctly so it is not confusing. I have a stored procedure that is returning many rows group by a product SKU ID. In these returned rows, I also need a value that shows the min date and the max date being returned for each product. So if the query is returning ten rows for product XYZ and the first date on these ten rows is 8/12 and the max date is 8/19, I need just those dates returned in a variable, or along with the dataset (if this makes sense). And I need that for each group of SKU (and many SKUs can be returned in the dataset).

Thanks for the information for this newbie (newbie for more complicated stored procs, certainly not new to databases) 😉

• I think you should take the time to provide some SQL code to explain what you're looking for (including expected result). Please see the link in my signature on how to do it.

Based on your verbal description it's hard to come up with a non-verbal solution...

Maybe adding MIN(date_in_question) and MAX(date_in_question) to your select list together with a GROUP BY SKU will already solve the issue...

If not, please provide some sample data to work on.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Here is the SQL query:

declare @thisDate as datetime

declare @endDate as datetime

set @thisDate = dateadd(d, -8, getdate())

set @endDate = dateadd(d, 28, @thisdate)

SELECT DISTINCT pps.Date, shift.actual_shift, pps.Cases_Scheduled * product.quartile as Scheduled, cc.Case_Code, ci.CubeSize, DailyCC.Case_Count, ci.CartonsPerCase, ci.GluedPerSkid,

CartonInv.carton, CartonInv.glued, CartonInv.flat

FROM tblPackProdSchedules AS pps

INNER JOIN tblCaseCodes AS cc ON pps.uCaseCodeID = cc.uID

INNER JOIN tblCartonIndex AS ci ON cc.Case_Code = ci.CaseCode

INNER JOIN Product on cc.uProductID = Product.uid

INNER JOIN shift on pps.uShiftID = shift.uid

FULL OUTER JOIN

(SELECT [Date], uShiftID, Case_Code, SUM(Case_Count) AS Case_Count, SUM(Case_Sched) AS Case_Sched, Product

FROM dbo.vw_Daily_CaseCounts AS dcc

WHERE dcc.[date]>=@thisDate and dcc.[date]=@thisDate

) AS CartonInv

ON cc.Case_Code = CartonInv.Case_Code

WHERE pps.[date]>=@thisDate and pps.[date]<=@endDate

ORDER BY pps.[date], shift.actual_shift

Within the result set (which happens to be 200+ rows currently), I need to pull out the min([Date]) and max([Date]) for cc.Case_Code within that result set, but still returning the full result set.

By the way, I did not originally create this database. I would have NEVER named a field in the table, Date.

• Well, we're getting closer...

Next thing I'd like to see is a DDL statement (table definition) as well as sample data in a ready to use format as described in the link in my signature for the tables you're using in your join. You should also include your expected result that matches your sample data.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply