Retry SSIS package step on package failure

• I have an SSIS package (that is part of an ETL process) that runs several stored procedures each in its own Exec SQL step. It runs these steps within a loop.

Pseudo code for the package looks like

Exec SQL get new request from queue

For each day in request begin loop

Exec SQL Task ProcOne

Exec SQL Task ProcTwo

Exec SQL Task ProcThree

End Loop

Exec SQL mark request as complete.

The package only has one Event handler. The event handler is at the package level and is OnError.

The package works fine most of the time but will occasionally error out with:

Error Number: -1073548784

Error Description: Executing the query "EXEC DBO.ProcOne ?,?,?,?" failed with the following error: "[DBNETLIB][ConnectionRead (recv()).]General network error. Check your network documentation.". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly.

This error seems like network noise to me. Does anyone know how/where to test for this error and make the package start at the top of the loop for that day again?

Thanks,

Marc

• hi,

i feel some connectivity pblm. u check odbc connection.

thx

sreejith

MCAD

• I agree it seems to be some kind of spurious network error.

For example: The loop can correctly process 6 days of data and get a network failure when working on day 7.

All we do is rerun the job for the remaining unprocessed days and it works.

• Is it possible that the any of the parameters for this procedure EXEC DBO.ProcOne ?,?,?,? is geting Null values sometimes that it can't handle? The datatypes for OLEDB connection type parameters cannot handle NULL values.

• Run a ping and write to file while the package is running. It may or may not prove network issue but it certainly looks that way.

Also, I would not use the term "Network Noise" TCP is pretty robust and recovers from collisions etc. When there is a disconnect, it's pretty severe. Look at your switches, server NICs etc.

Cheers,CrispinI can't die, there are too many people who still have to meet me!It's not a bug, SQL just misunderstood me!

• For the benefit of others, what was the problem?

Cheers,CrispinI can't die, there are too many people who still have to meet me!It's not a bug, SQL just misunderstood me!

• I am having the same issue.

We have an SSIS package that runs 2 stored procedures.

I can run the SSIS package and the first stored procedure will fail with this error: failed with the following error: "[DBNETLIB][ConnectionRead (recv()).]General network error. Check your network documentation.". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly.

The second procedure may work.

I can again run the SSIS package immediately following the failure of the first stored procedure and success of the second stored procedure....and the first stored procedure will end successfully but the second will fail.

I can run the SSIS package a third time and both stored procedures succeed...

To recap...I can run an SSIS package 3 times in a row, without changing anything, and get 3 different results.

Does anyone have any experience getting to the bottom of this inexplicable General Network Error while running a stored procedure?

thanks very much.

Mark

• I am having the same issue.

We have an SSIS package that runs 2 stored procedures.

I can run the SSIS package and the first stored procedure will fail with this error: failed with the following error: "[DBNETLIB][ConnectionRead (recv()).]General network error. Check your network documentation.". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly.

The second procedure may work.

I can again run the SSIS package immediately following the failure of the first stored procedure and success of the second stored procedure....and the first stored procedure will end successfully but the second will fail.

I can run the SSIS package a third time and both stored procedures succeed...

To recap...I can run an SSIS package 3 times in a row, without changing anything, and get 3 different results.

Does anyone have any experience getting to the bottom of this inexplicable General Network Error while running a stored procedure?

thanks very much.

Mark

• What was the solution here?

• Unfortunately, there was no solution. I ended up just rerunning the procedures until they worked. It was a monthly job. Then, the company outsourced the entire data center to an offsite location and the problem has not recurred.

• Oh I see.

I am still have the problem once a while. Anyone has hint of how to fix this?

My process is running every business day. We had the issue last night and before that if was in November 2010.

• Yes, sorry that I couldn't be of more assistance.

Good Luck.

Mark

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply