Retrieve Text data and other data in a single SELECT

• I have a table that has a ntext and varchar col and I need to return both really at the same time.

At the moment I do this to return the nText data.

SELECT @Size = DATALENGTH(Textual)/2 FROM tbl_DEFAULT_EMAILS WHERE EmailPK = @EmailPK

SELECT @ptr=TEXTPTR(Textual)

FROM tbl_DEFAULT_EMAILS

WHERE EmailPK = @EmailPK

if @ptr <> null

READTEXT tbl_DEFAULT_EMAILS.Textual @ptr 0 @Size

I have just added a col called sFields which is a csv list of fields that I am going to loop through replacing the placeholders with values.

If possible I would like to retrive both at the same time something like

SELECT Textual, stFields FROM tbl_DEFAULT_EMAILS where EmailPK=@EmailPK

but i was told this would not work if the nText blob was large.

Any tips or help much appreciated.

Is this possible

• AFAIK (may be wrong) but you need to retrieve the TEXT column(s) last

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• what if the size of the Text data is bigger than the rowsize does it not get cut off.

I thought you had to use readtext.

if i can get all the data back no matter how big and the other cols by going

SELECT sFields, Textual FROM tbl_DEFAULT_EMAILS where EmailPK = @EmailPK

then I will do that but I thought there was a reason you couldnt do that if the ntext was so large. If im wrong then thats cool.

Cheers

• Readtext is usually for use within TSQL stuff executing on the server. You can "select" text / image columns and it is up to your client side library (eg ADO, ADO.NET, ODBC, etc) to provide it to you as a string, stream, memory buffer, etc.

The max size of the row (~8000bytes) is for data stored in a table - think though that you can join many tables together in one query that may easily exceed 8000 bytes - it doesn't matter how much data you return or how "wide" it is.

So your select statement will work a treat, and yeah, I had heard that you should select your BLOBs last as well. What are you doing client side with the data - eg what library are you using to access the DB?

• im using standard ADO.

Its a website written in ASP. I need to store default and custom emails with placeholders. Return the text/html replace the placeholders with values then send off the email.

As I have feeling that some of our emails are quite large and I am writing a site that could be multi language Ive chose ntext.

Ok thanks for your help.

• You can have text or image data type column in select statement directly. The TEXT column does not need to be the last one. I have this kind of proc running in production (the Text column is the first one). For image column, i am not sure it needs to be the last or not. I have both ado and ado.net clients.

As Ian  said, it's upto what connectivity your client is using.

The maximum bytes of text/image column can be returned in the select statement is controlled by @@TEXTSIZE. You can change it by SET TEXTSIZE. By default oledb and odbc connection set it to 2147483647 bytes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply