Retiring, then Returning

• About 5 years ago, after many years in the industry (30), I left full time work as a SQL Server developer/engineer, followed by a couple years of contract work with my last employer (I'm in the US).  I retired.  Moved out of state, then moved back to the state where I worked for so long (different city, tho). Thru it all, I've felt an itch to keep involved. I've read SQL Server Central, and kept on top of industry and professional trends.  It's still interesting to me.

So, a couple weeks ago, I applied for a full time SQL Developer position, and am interviewing on Monday. My dilemma is that I'm 68 years of age. My age has not come up on 2 phone screens. I'm quite sure I can do the work, but am anxious about that number (and the grey beard 🙂 )  How should I bring it up? With HR manager? with the hiring manager?  My peer reviewers?

Cheers

• It shouldn't come up on phone screenings because it's actually against the law.  I wouldn't bring it up.  Just show up for the interview.  You've got a million miles left on your tires and they've taken you down some interesting roads.  People can't buy that kind of experience.  Some will be put off by your age ("What does THAT ol' man think he can do?") .  The smart ones will recognize your good mileage and experience and hire you for as long as long as you'll stay.  They also recognize that oldies are goodies and they don't want to move around as much as the kids.

I landed my dream job 8 years ago in November.  I'll be 67 this year.  My hat is off to you for wanting to keep your hand in it.

And knock their socks off at the interview.  You know how to do it.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I agree with Jeff. Just ignore your age and answer questions they ask.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

I agree with Jeff. Just ignore your age and answer questions they ask.

They're not actually supposed to ask.  In the past, I used the "Miracle on 34th Street" reply of "Older than my teeth and younger than my hair". 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

I agree with Jeff. Just ignore your age and answer questions they ask.

They're not actually supposed to ask.  In the past, I used the "Miracle on 34th Street" reply of "Older than my teeth and younger than my hair". 😀

Nice one. Or Jonathan Swift's “I'm as old as my tongue and a little older than my teeth.”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply