restoring the MASTER

• hi all

am testing a disaster & recovery plane which include the case in which i need to recover the master database (2005)

first am talking the database into single-user mode "this step is going all right"

second am trying to restore the master when using the SQL Server Management Studio i get an error message during the recovery process and when trying to recover the database using sqlcmd i get anther error "only one administrator can access the server the database is in single-user mode" and i cant find this ""second administrator"???

" dont know what to do if u please help...

..>>..

MobashA

• You need to use SQLCMD. SSMS and Enterprise Manager open multiple connections to the server.

• i did used sqlcmd and i get the same error

..>>..

MobashA

• Make sure that you stop SQL Server Agent before you initiate the single-user mode and then restore the master from backup using SQLCMD. I've run into the same error when I have neglected to stop the SQL Server Agent.

Here's a good article, guide for restoring the master db. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175535.aspx

Good Luck!

• Also make sure you close out of SSMS while connecting with SQLCMD.

• yes Of course man??

..>>..

MobashA

• Refer the below link, i think this may help you.

How to Rebuild System Databases in SQL 2005

• thats good ,

am not trying to be nagy but i want to restore the master database not rebuild it,the tow operations are much differente as i know .

check this out i have the following:

srv-1 srv-2

master-1 master-2

and i want to resotre the master-2 on the srv-1 and replace it with master-1

this is exactly what i need to do.

..>>..

MobashA

• Hi,

Check http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190679.aspx

For SQL 2000

1- Add the backup device

2- Stop SQL Server

3- Bring SQL Server to single-user mode via the command line For example : c:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql.1\mssql\binn> sqlservr.exe -c -m

4- logon into SQL Server as sa/trusted connection

5- restore the master

Regards,

Ahmed

• thanks a lot for helping me ,am doing exactly as u said but on step

4- logon into SQL Server as sa/trusted connection

i get an error message that only one DBA can connect to sql server at a time, i closed every connection and every service was useing the sql server but stil the same error??????//

..>>..

MobashA

• Try the trace flag 3607 which should skip the recovery of the user databases. Rememeber this trace flag I have used in SQL Server 2000 just try and see if it works. Please update us if it worked .

Start sqlservr.exe -c -m -T3607

may help you http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188236.aspx

All the Best

Minaz

"More Green More Oxygen !! Plant a tree today"

• i did try trace flag 3607 but i still couldnt connect to the sql server the same error.

any way i had tried this please tell if will be any side effects:

i have

srv-1 srv-2

master.mdf-1 master.mdf-2

master.log-1 master.log-2

what i did is shutdown the srv-1 services then copy the master.mdf-1 and master.log-1

then shutdown the srv-2 services and replaced the master.mdf-2 and master.log-2 with master.mdf-1 and master.log-1

then start srv-2

and every thing went good?????????????????????????///

..>>..

MobashA

• Hi,

The master database contains system information and high-level information about all databases on an SQL Server (also logins !).

You will lost all logins and databases that are not created under master-1.

(http://vyaskn.tripod.com/sql_server_administration_best_practices.htm)

Regards,

Ahmed

• actually i need all configurations from master-1

and i dont care what happen to master-1.log and mdf

..>>..

MobashA

• If all the users are able to login ?

Databases are working properly ?

I doubt because the server name is different .

If not working try changing the server name by sp_dropserver and sp_addserver.

Still I recommended try this out in test server.

"More Green More Oxygen !! Plant a tree today"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply