Restoring SUSPECT database _from backup_

• Short story - array controller error (according to IT), server hung up, reboot, torn page, suspect database.

I do have a current backup, so no worries about data loss (whew!).

So... is the correct thing to do to drop the database and recreate from backup? Or do I still need to reset status or set to emergency mode first?

I apologize for blanking out on something so basic. Most articles seem to jump straight to "if there is no current backup" part, I can't imagine why. 😉

• I would drop the database and recreate it from the backup but does it make difference I am not so sure. Either ways database is going to be in the same expected state as it was when backup was taken.

• If you have a backup, restore from backup. It's when you don't have a backup that all sorts of tricks are needed to get the DB back.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thank you, Krishna.

Gila, that's what I thought, but then the panic struck.

I ended up just running a restore command. Luckily, one of the two "suspect" databases is repopulated daily from another system, so I didn't worry about trashing it. Restore without any preliminary steps ran just fine, and now I am restoring the Big One.

• Olga B (3/17/2009)

Gila, that's what I thought, but then the panic struck.

Don't panic 😉 http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/65804/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Great article, thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply