restoring replicated database

• - I have an 3 SQL servers (A, B and C)
        - A is replicating data to B and C, also B is replicating data to A and C also is replicating data to A
        - If there is a problem with server A, I restore a backup and rebuild the replication, but this makes data inconsistent as the new entered records in B
    and C during the down time will not be sent.
        - I need to be able to restore the backup with its replication information so that after I restore the backup the replication should continue with the
    last point the stopped in.
        - Is that possible? please help.

• tarekj - Tuesday, October 24, 2017 9:02 AM

- I have an 3 SQL servers (A, B and C)
        - A is replicating data to B and C, also B is replicating data to A and C also is replicating data to A
        - If there is a problem with server A, I restore a backup and rebuild the replication, but this makes data inconsistent as the new entered records in B
        - I need to be able to restore the backup with its replication information so that after I restore the backup the replication should continue with the

Often you can just "pause" the agents during processes like this and then start them back up after your done. If it works or not in your case depends on what you are replicated between the servers and the type of replication. But all you do to stop things for a bit is stop the jobs for whichever agents are involved in your replication. You can find more information in this documentation:
    Start and Stop a Replication Agent

Sue

• Sue_H - Tuesday, October 24, 2017 4:46 PM

tarekj - Tuesday, October 24, 2017 9:02 AM

- I have an 3 SQL servers (A, B and C)

Often you can just "pause" the agents during processes like this and then start them back up after your done. If it works or not in your case depends on what you are replicated between the servers and the type of replication. But all you do to stop things for a bit is stop the jobs for whichever agents are involved in your replication. You can find more information in this documentation:
    Start and Stop a Replication Agent

Sue

Thank you for your reply, however I do not want to stop the replication, I want it to continue the time I restore my backup, so that after I restore the backup the replication should continue with the last point the stopped.
    by the way, I am using transactional replication.

• tarekj - Wednesday, October 25, 2017 3:45 AM

Thank you for your reply, however I do not want to stop the replication, I want it to continue the time I restore my backup, so that after I restore the backup the replication should continue with the last point the stopped.
    by the way, I am using transactional replication.

With transactional replication and the servers being both subscribers and publishers, I don't believe you can restore one servers database that is involved in the publications, subscriptions and just have things not be out of sync. Some depends on what database is restored and what has subscriptions, publications but you need to reinitialize the affected publications. 

Sue

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply