Restoring Master Database

• Hello All,

I'm trying to restore the master database (SQL 2000 SP4) from a backup to a totally different server with different path structures. When I do this, I'm not able to bring up the database instance.

I know what the problem is but I don't know and can't find a way to get around it. The problem is that the original path for the Mater database on the original server is d:\...\data\ and the path of the new server is h:\...\data. When I restore the database via EM, even though I change the paths on the Options tab for the .mdf and .ldf files, when the instance tries to start, it's looking for the master DB on d:\...\data.

Is there a way around this to get it to work? I know I have to put the database in single user mode which is not a problem. The restore completes fine.

If there is not a way around this, should I only restore specific table from the original master db to capture logins, etc?

Also, to correct my existing problem (not being able to bring up the database instance), do I have to reinstall the database instance or can I correct the path of the master db in the registry somewhere to bring the db up?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Ronnie

• Search 'Using Startup Options' in BOL, this describes what you need to do.

Andrew

• Thanks Andrew.

Unfortunately, I've tried those options and when it tries to start any subsequent components such as the model or msdb databases, it also looks for them in the old path. I'm beginning to believe that there's not a way to fix that problem with out rebuilding the instance.

I think I have to just transfer the logins from between servers.

Unless someone else can shed some light.

Thanks,

Ronnie 

• Ronnie,

You can start the SQL instance with a couple of start up switches so only master comes up, you can then issue some commands to relocate the other system databases: Follow the instructions in the KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224071

If you simply want to sync up user accounts you can use the SP that is detailed in this KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246133

Andrew

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply