Restoring Large (~2GB) Databases - Loading Problem

• Under SQL Server 2000 SP3, W2K Server, sometimes when I restore a database I get the usual 'Restore Completed' message, but then when I look at the db through EM I see that it is 'Loading' and unavailable for use.

Can anyone explain what this loading process is - and why, sometimes, it hangs?

I tried restoring the same backup on my PC with no problems. Then had to detach/copy/attach to get round the problem.

Cheers

Phil

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• SQL Server 2000 supports a new feature that allows users to insert a named transaction in the transaction log and allow recovery to that point, similar to point-in-time recovery as implemented in SQL Server 7.0. In addition, these marks are tracked in the msdb database, enabling users to determine what marks are available and plan recovery accordingly.

To get the database out of loading status (without restoring another transaction log backup), run the following statement:

RESTORE DATABASE DatabaseName WITH RECOVERY

May be this will sort the problems.

• Many thanks - will try that when I get a chance.

Phil

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• No.  This does not work.  I am having the same problem

RESTORE DATABASE DatabaseName WITH RECOVERY

It is giving an error message that database was partially restored. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• We had a problem with restores not working for large databases when we first moved to SQL 2000. The restores were run on a standby server but were initiated from a job running on the production server.  We tracked down the problem to the fact that remote query timeout is set to 600 seconds at SQL 2000 but there isn't a timeout at SQL 7. Changing the timeout to 0 fixed the problem. Check server properties on the connections tab.

• Thanks.  I have timeout at 0.  Any other suggestion.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply