Restoring Database issue

• Every day we are restoring database through sql job at 3 am. for last two days

we are getting error "not enough server storage is available to process this command"

We are using SQL Server 2005 Sp2

and os is Windows server 2003

• naresh.talla (8/9/2011)

Every day we are restoring database through sql job at 3 am. for last two days

we are getting error "not enough server storage is available to process this command"

We are using SQL Server 2005 Sp2

and os is Windows server 2003

There's nothing unclear about that.

Couple things that could be the root cause of the issue :

- DB datafiles or log grew, by a lot (or got resized)

- Someone moved/copied the file of the db, which are now NOT getting overwritten

- Something else filled the drives

- The job was changed and now it's failing because of that change

• Adiga (8/9/2011)

Naresh,

Check if restarting the SQL Server instance before restoring the database helps.

How could that help?

I have seen this error due to BPool/Memory pressure on instances running on 32 bit servers. Restarting the instance was a good work around. Steps mentioned in this article was the permanent fix.

Naresh, since you are restoring the database across the network increasing IRPStackSize as explained in the above article is worth a try.

Pradeep Adiga
    Blog: sqldbadiaries.com
    Twitter: @pradeepadiga

• Good to know!

• i have worked with iRPstacksize but it is not worked for me..

• naresh.talla (8/9/2011)

i have worked with iRPstacksize but it is not worked for me..

YOU'RE OUT OF ROOM OF THE DRIVE.

THE END.

Delete data or make sure you overwrite the db when restoring.

• Adiga,

Good to know this from you......

• Ninja's_RGR'us (8/9/2011)

YOU'RE OUT OF ROOM OF THE DRIVE.

THE END.

I'm not sure he is. If he were, I'd expect to see an error like this: Restore operation for database MyDB requires xxxxxxxx bytes for the data file(s), but only yyyyyyyy are available. This is why I asked for the exact error message, although I'm still not sure I've actually got it. The error that he's posted suggests to me that there may be a problem with memory or some other system resource.

I also asked for the command being executed (which we now know is via a job step), but I haven't had that, either. Sometimes it's not easy to help!

John

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply