Restoring a copy from a Log Shipped database

• Greetings folks!

I have a somewhat weird situation

We are log shipping our production databases to a remote location. So, I have all the production databases on the restore server in "Restoring" state, which makes them unusable for anything.

Now, we want to set up Staging in this remote location and I need a one time copy of these databases to be "Multi_User" accessible without breaking the log shipping, obviously...

I tried stopping SQL server, copy the mdf and ldf of the database in "restoring state", in a different directory and attach those files with a different database name but, it will not allow me to attach a database which was in "restoring" mode 🙁

Any ideas on what I can do? All these databases are 100GB plus and although I am using hyperbac its still a lot of data to transfer over the VPN.

Thanks in advance,

Anish

• I wouldn't mess with the log shipping, not if it's for DR purposes.

Back up, compress, ship over, and so on.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• You cannot get them read-write without breaking log shipping. Copy over another full backup and restore.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply