Restored a DB from SQL 2000, now SQL can't shrink/find log

• Hi,

I recently restored a database from an old SQL 2000 backup onto a SQL 2008 Standard Edition server. I set the recovery model to Simple and walked away.

I now find that there is 30Gb of data and a 60Gb of log file in that database. I would like to shrink or remove the log file to recover disk space, but SQL won't let me.

If I try and shrink the log, I get the error:

Could not locate file 'Mydb_log' for database 'Mydb' in sys.database_files. The file either does not exist or was dropped. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 8985).

The file is definitely there, and is 60Gb, so I really want to resize and/or get rid of it.

How can I do this?

Thanks,

Craig

• Query sys.database_files and post the name, filename, id and type of all the files in there.

Do Not delete the log file. It can leave the database unusable.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Results:

namephysical_namefile_guidfile_idtype

NewArchiveDataF:\Data\ArchiveData.mdfE4906318-99EC-4E9A-9BE2-EFEE790AACD710

NewArchiveData_logF:\Data\ArchiveData_log.ldfF0E37EDF-F3BB-468E-B00C-7DA012C5372C21

• DBCC ShrinkFile ('NewArchiveData_log', 1000)

That'll try to shrink the log to 1GB.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• That basically gives the same error as I get in the UI :/

"Could not locate file 'NewArchiveData_log' for database 'ArchiveData' in sys.database_files. The file either does not exist, or was dropped. "

• Are you running it in the correct database?

Gail Shaw

• Ha, yes. I just treble-checked and added a USE to be sure. I wish it was that simple 🙂

• DBCC ShrinkFile (2, 1000)

Gail Shaw

• Just to be sure, in Windows Explorer, does the file exist where sys.database_files says it does (F:\Data\ArchiveData_log.ldf)?

• Yes, the file is there at that path.

• GilaMonster (4/20/2012)

DBCC ShrinkFile (2, 1000)

It's now actually doing something using this command! 🙂

I'm not sure how long this will take though.

• CraigIW (4/20/2012)

GilaMonster (4/20/2012)

DBCC ShrinkFile (2, 1000)

It's now actually doing something using this command! 🙂

I'm not sure how long this will take though.

It took about three minutes 🙂

Thanks Gail, this worked. As the db is still on Simple recovery, I'm hoping I should be able to leave it now in this somewhat inconsistent state.

• can you try changing it to full recovery, take transaction log backup and try shrinking the database, though this is not relates to your error

• smardi5 (4/23/2012)

can you try changing it to full recovery, take transaction log backup

Why would you want to do that?

In simple recovery model the log space is marked reusable any time a checkpoint runs. In full recovery it requires a transaction log backup. So by switching to full recovery you increase the requirements to make the log reusable, not decrease them.

p.s. the transaction log backup will fail because there's been no full backup taken since the DB was switched to

Gail Shaw

• I wanted him to check if he can take txn log backup, take it delete it, shirnk the db and revert back to simple model. as you rightly pointed out he will not be able to backup txn log since there is no full backup happened after restore.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply