restore using SSMS error no full database backup is selected to be restored

• I am using SSMS version 17.9.1 to do a restore from two backup files from production server to a dev server.

The two backup files is a full backup on sunday, and a differential backup on Monday. They are on the chain of a database backup.  The dev and production server are on the same version of SQL server cumulative updates.

The full backup restored fine with norecovery mode.

The I tried to restore the differential backup.  I got an error no full database backup is selected to be restored.

What could be wrong?

Thanks,

• This topic was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by  sqlfriend.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by  sqlfriend.
  • There are some similar errors with some versions of SSMS. Try to use t-sql instead of SSMS and see if it works. If it errors, you should get more information than what you get with SSMS. Also check the differential and make sure it isn't corrupt - do a restore headeronly on the file and see if you get any errors. You'd also want to check the permissions on the file to make sure there aren't any issues with those.

Sue

• I know I can use the script, but SSMS is a tool that is used so often , you can also generate script from there.

But I just want to know if this is a bug of SSMS, if so, it should fixed.

I downloaded the newer version 18.2, it is the same error.

Actually I tried on the production server itself, same error.

But if I use SSMS to restore to a point of time, it chose the same full and differential backup, and it restores OK with no error.

• There are way too many bugs in SSMS so I can't remember which versions have which issues and they can disappear and reappear in different versions.You can search for them or file a new report using User Voice, feedback or whatever they are calling it this month:

https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server

Part of the reason for trying in t-sql was for the error message. You can often get more information if trying in t-sql. I didn't write the product, it is what it is.

• You might want to create a small test database, take a full backup, then a differential, then restore both - to tell whether a failure you are seeing is due to a corrrupted backup, or wrong method/bug in SSMS.

http://90.212.51.111 domain

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply