Restore trans log(s) from vss snapshot-based backuo

SSC Enthusiast

Hi,

Is it possible to combine VSS snapshot-based backup with transaction log backups?

Traditionally,people do native full backups, and do more frequent differential and log backups that can then be applied to the full backup during recovery.

In other words, can I take a VSS snapshot, subsequently take a series of transaction log backups, and then during restore, apply those log backups to the snapshot?

Any reply will be appciate!

• Eirikur Eiriksson

SSC Guru

124420294 (11/4/2016)

Hi,

Is it possible to combine VSS snapshot-based backup with transaction log backups?

Traditionally,people do native full backups, and do more frequent differential and log backups that can then be applied to the full backup during recovery.

In other words, can I take a VSS snapshot, subsequently take a series of transaction log backups, and then during restore, apply those log backups to the snapshot?

Any reply will be appciate!

No, volume shadow copy backups cannot be combined with SQL Server backups.

😎

SSC Enthusiast

But from below microsoft official docuement, it seems that vss snapshot plus trans log restore is support.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc966520.aspx

(Full restore with additional rollforwards)

• Eirikur Eiriksson

SSC Guru

124420294 (11/13/2016)

But from below microsoft official docuement, it seems that vss snapshot plus trans log restore is support.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc966520.aspx

(Full restore with additional rollforwards)

The document you are referring to is an 11 years old "A Guide for SQL Server Backup Application Vendors"!

😎

What version of SQL Server are you using?

SSC Enthusiast

sql server 2016.

if sql 2005 support transaction log roll forward, I think, it should be also supported for 2016.

• Eirikur Eiriksson

SSC Guru

124420294 (11/14/2016)

sql server 2016.

if sql 2005 support transaction log roll forward, I think, it should be also supported for 2016.

A VSS file backup is not the same as an SQL Server backup using the VSS writer, what are you using for the backups?

😎

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply