Restore trans log(s) from vss snapshot-based backuo

• Hi,

Is it possible to combine VSS snapshot-based backup with transaction log backups?

Traditionally,people do native full backups, and do more frequent differential and log backups that can then be applied to the full backup during recovery.

In other words, can I take a VSS snapshot, subsequently take a series of transaction log backups, and then during restore, apply those log backups to the snapshot?

Any reply will be appciate!

• 124420294 (11/4/2016)

Hi,

Is it possible to combine VSS snapshot-based backup with transaction log backups?

Traditionally,people do native full backups, and do more frequent differential and log backups that can then be applied to the full backup during recovery.

In other words, can I take a VSS snapshot, subsequently take a series of transaction log backups, and then during restore, apply those log backups to the snapshot?

Any reply will be appciate!

No, volume shadow copy backups cannot be combined with SQL Server backups.

😎

• But from below microsoft official docuement, it seems that vss snapshot plus trans log restore is support.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc966520.aspx

(Full restore with additional rollforwards)

• 124420294 (11/13/2016)

But from below microsoft official docuement, it seems that vss snapshot plus trans log restore is support.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc966520.aspx

(Full restore with additional rollforwards)

The document you are referring to is an 11 years old "A Guide for SQL Server Backup Application Vendors"!

😎

What version of SQL Server are you using?

• sql server 2016.

if sql 2005 support transaction log roll forward, I think, it should be also supported for 2016.

• 124420294 (11/14/2016)

sql server 2016.

if sql 2005 support transaction log roll forward, I think, it should be also supported for 2016.

A VSS file backup is not the same as an SQL Server backup using the VSS writer, what are you using for the backups?

😎

• I agree that this should be possible. This very recent URL points to the function but doesn't explain how to use it:

It is a logical requirement in Azure: Snapshot a server and expect that if you have the logs outside of the VM (in a storage account), restore the VM and then apply the logs from the storage.

Otherwise I backup a VM to Recovery Vault with the database being 90% of the space used in that backup but can't roll forward if I restore the machine. I instead need a second backup of the database and the transaction logs, perhaps also in Recovery alongside the first which I am already paying for. The database server backup is already a costly part because of its size and I have to do it twice.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply