restore to multiple datafiles

• Background: SQL 2005, old database has 1 filegroup (Primary) and .mdf and .ldf on same drive.

New server: created database with Primary filegroup spanning 4 drives on SAN (transaction log on separate drive).

Problem: I would like to restore the database to the new server and have the datafiles spread across the 4 files in the Primary filegroup. I cannot find a way to restore the database to multiple datafiles (maybe a result of a long weekend in Vegas...). It would be nice to be able to do the following:

RESTORE DATABASE [ABCD] FROM DISK = N'K:\Temp\ABCD.bak' WITH FILE = 1,

MOVE N'ABCD_Data' TO

N'G:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\ABCD_01.mdf,

H:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\ABCD_02.ndf,

I:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\ABCD_03.ndf,

J:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\ABCD_04.ndf',

MOVE N'ABCD_Log' TO N'K:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\ABCD_log.ldf', NOUNLOAD, REPLACE, STATS = 10

GO

Thanks in advance - Grumpy

• I don't believe you can do this directly because of the mapping of pages to logical files. My guess is you need to:

1. restore to db with 1 MDF/ 1 LDF

2. Create 3 new NDFs

3. Move data (clustered indexes, recreate objects, etc.) to new files.

• Thanks, Steve. After researching the topic for a while and not finding anything that said it could be done I figured I would have to restore the file to 1 mdf and 1 ldf, create the additional data files and start moving data.

- Grumpy

• 11 years later... Is it still impossible to do this?
    In SQL Server 2012.... 2014... 2016... ???

Up!

• A restore recreates the DB exactly as it was at the time of backup. If you want multiple files, restore, then split.

Please rather start a new thread for your question in future.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply