restore TDE backup onto new server

• Hello Guys,

I'm confronted with this problem: I have TDE backup one serverA

but There is no backup of certificates or keys from Server A. And no one knows the password used to create those backups. How do you restore the database XYZ at that time on Server B?

Thanks,

BR,

Hadrian

• You cannot. That's the whole point of TDE.

If ServerA is not available any more, I guess you're out of luck.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• You need the certificate.

The entire point of TDE is that a backup of a TDE protected database cannot be restored to any other server unless that server has the certificate.

If you can't back the certificate up om Server A, then you are in serious danger of losing that entire DB (what happens if server A dies)?

If that is the case, I would suggest you turn TDE off on that DB on server A, create new certificates back the certificate up to somewhere safe, re-encrypt the DB and then you can restore the certificate on other servers and restore the DB afterwards.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks a lot ,

I have one more question If the key and certificate has been backed up on server A. But the password is forgotten. How do you restore the database XYZ at that time on Server B?

• Take a new backup of the certificate. If you can't, see my earlier post about changing the certificate.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Thanks again Gila,

Have a nice day!

Hadrian

• Hadrian (1/29/2015)

There is no backup of certificates or keys from Server A. And no one knows the password used to create those backups.

Having trouble understanding this, do you or do you not have a certificate backup?

If you do have a backup and don't know the password used to protect the private key then just create a new backup and store the new password securely. Remove the old backup to avoid confusion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• we dont have a cerificate or backup,everything is lost including the password.

• What about the source server, where the database currently is? Or is that gone too?

What, exactly, is the situation with regard to this database?

Gail Shaw

• Hi Gail,

The database server is up and the key and certificate has been backed up on server A. But the password is forgotten. we wish to restore on server B. There is a possibility to hack the password?

Thanks,

Hadrian

• Once more with feeling....

Take a new backup of the certificate. If you can't, see my earlier post about changing the certificate.

The existing password on the existing certificate backup is irrelevant if you can take a *new* backup of the certificate and specify a new password upon doing so. Once you have taken a new backup of the certificate, then, since you know the password for that new backup, you can restore it to server B.

Gail Shaw

• So in conclusion without password we cannot restore our encrypted database?

Thanks very much,

Hadrian

• Hadrian (2/3/2015)

So in conclusion without password we cannot restore our encrypted database?

Thanks very much,

Hadrian

Take a new backup of the certificate on the ServerA giving it a password you know.

Then restore this backup onto the ServerB.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• only one new thing but we could restore on THE SAME server without password?

• it seems clear that you do not understand the situation you are dealing with, I would highly recommend you seek help before you render the database inaccessible, you likely won't be popular if that happens

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply