Restore strategy

• Hi guys,

Any ideas where i can get a Template for Database restore strategy?

i am planninng to do Restores every three months.

And i am not good at doing documentation but i know what my intentions are.

I do not have a DR site, and for some reason i am not comfortable with just a SQL job reporting that the Database backup run successfully last night. Please help fellows.

So my intention is to restore backups to My Test environment and Also to the same production environment.

• There's no perfect template for how often you should run backups and how often you should test restores. You need to establish a service level agreement with your business about how much data loss they can tolerate and how long a recovery period they're willing to live with. These numbers will help determine how you can set up your recovery process.

Once you get set up though, I'd suggest reading through this article[/url] I wrote on backup testing. I think it'll help.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Just read Grant's artical is a good, straight to the point piece would highly reccomend it.

• Hi,

i read it too and i am following it each step of the way. Thanks Grant.

• Thanks to both. Glad to hear it's useful.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply