restore SQL 2005 on different server

• Hello, I recently migrated my first system from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005. When I started testing and updating my DR scenarios/procedures, I came across an issue that wasn't present in SQL 2000. When I restored system databases on a test server with a different host name, in addition to an old issue with @@servername function reporting old server name, I ended up with domain account that test SQL Server was running under not having access to a restored server, because after master restore the group TEST_SERVER\SQLServer2005MSSQLUser$TEST_SERVER$MSSQLSERVER had no longer access to the test SQL Server. SQL Server didn't behave in a normal way. To resolve the problem, I logged on as sa user, dropped the PROD_SERVER\SQLServer2005MSSQLUser$PROD_SERVER$MSSQLSERVER group from the master and added TEST_SERVER\SQLServer2005MSSQLUser$TEST_SERVER$MSSQLSERVER local group again. After that everything seems to work fine. Still I have my doubts, because I haven't been able to find any info on this either on MS site or elsewhere. I was wondering if someone could shed some light on this. Thanks in advance. Martin

• Indeed you have to synchronise these local windows groups (created at install time of your sqlserver instance) when you restore master or if you granted them explicit on userdbs.

yourServerName\SQLServer2005MSSQLUser$yourServerName$yourInstanceName

yourServerName\SQLServer2005SQLAgentUser$yourServerName$yourInstanceName

yourServerName\SQLServer2005MSFTEUser$yourServerName$yourInstanceName

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply