Restore Only FULL Backup

• Hi ,

i have two agent jobs in SQL Server 2005,

First Agent job will take full backup of my Data base MYDATABASE on Sunday 1:00AM as SundayDate-MYDATABASE.BKP

Second Agent job will take differential backup from Monday to Satuarday at 1:00AM on same file i.e. SundayDate-MYDATABASE.BKP

now my problem is how to re store only the full backup from the same file after having the differential backups on the same file

can any one provide the option and steps to restore the full backup ONLY from the same file

Thank You

• It seems you already have a thread running on this http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic679214-357-1.aspx

Any way find the attachment.

When you try to restore from the backup file, just select the Full backup as shown.

Hope you know how to get that restore database dialog in SSMS.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• You can use restore headeronly to see what's in the file. If you have set things to append. If not, you're out of luck.

SSMS will also let you see the backups in a file if you pick the file from the restore process (use the from file or from device dialog).

Note, this is an extremely bad idea. If something happens to the file, you lose 2 backups, not one. What have you saved? There's no benefit here. Use two different files.

• Before just jumping on the SQL Server and do the step, let me ask, if the database server is in production?

If so are you restoring on a different server, if restoring on the same server where the actual database exists, you need to change the datafile names in the options page, also do not overwrite the existing database, you cannot recover that later.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• Yeah, i got ii.

thank you,

• You are welcome !

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply