Restore of db fails

• SQLRNNR (7/30/2014)

The database that they provided, was it enabled for encryption by chance? It is worth checking with the vendor if their database is TDE enabled.

Also worth comparing with them if the database version (down to CU) is exactly the same as yours.

I will ask about encryption... I know they are on SQL2008R2 SP2 and we are on SP1.

• Markus (7/30/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/30/2014)

The database that they provided, was it enabled for encryption by chance? It is worth checking with the vendor if their database is TDE enabled.

Also worth comparing with them if the database version (down to CU) is exactly the same as yours.

I will ask about encryption... I know they are on SQL2008R2 SP2 and we are on SP1.

Both of those would be issues.

If they are using TDE, you will not be able to restore that backup without the certificate they used to encrypt the database.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (7/30/2014)

Markus (7/30/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/30/2014)

If they are using TDE, you will not be able to restore that backup without the certificate they used to encrypt the database.

I have never had a service pack difference be an issue with restoring a database.

TDE.... Understand... however....

I have successfully restored their backup TO the NAS device... so... makes me think both of these are not factors.

• Markus (7/30/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/30/2014)

Markus (7/30/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/30/2014)

I have never had a service pack difference be an issue with restoring a database.

I have successfully restored their backup TO the NAS device... so... makes me think both of these are not factors.

When you say you restored it to the NAS device, what do you mean? You were able to place the backup file on the NAS device, or you restored the database into a SQL Server instance that accesses the NAS device for storage?

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (7/30/2014)

Markus (7/30/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/30/2014)

Markus (7/30/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/30/2014)

When you say you restored it to the NAS device, what do you mean? You were able to place the backup file on the NAS device, or you restored the database into a SQL Server instance that accesses the NAS device for storage?

Yes. We cannot restore from the NAS backup to our back end storage. I have also tried to take a backup of the NAS live database and restore it to our storage and it fails. That is what is bizzare.

• Markus (7/30/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/30/2014)

Markus (7/30/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/30/2014)

Markus (7/30/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/30/2014)

Yes. We cannot restore from the NAS backup to our back end storage. I have also tried to take a backup of the NAS live database and restore it to our storage and it fails. That is what is bizzare.

TDE is within SQL Server. You can copy the backup file anywhere you want. But you will never be able to actually restore it into SQL Server and access the data without the certificate used to encrypt the source database.

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (7/30/2014)

Markus (7/30/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/30/2014)

Markus (7/30/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/30/2014)

Markus (7/30/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/30/2014)

TDE is within SQL Server. You can copy the backup file anywhere you want. But you will never be able to actually restore it into SQL Server and access the data without the certificate used to encrypt the source database.

I understand that. The backup is on the NAS, we can successfully restore from that backup to a database name ON the NAS. We cannot restore the backup that is on the NAS to a db name on our back end storage. That is the issue. Both restores are into the same SQL Server. This is the reason why I don't think TDE is the issue.

• So, the backup provided by the vendor will not restore if the destination is backend storage. But it will restore into SQL Server if you use the NAS storage.

SQL Server can see the NAS storage obviously as a valid storage path. But does it see the backend storage as a valid storage path?

Since you restored to the NAS storage, are you able to take a backup of that database and restore that backup (not the vendor supplied version of the backup) to the backend storage path?

Are other databases currently accessing the same backend storage (to which you are trying to restore) from this SQL instance?

Learn Extended Events

• The restore does start and it does create all of the files on the initialization of the backup. At about 20% into the restore it fails with the message I posted at the top of this post (0:0) from the backup from the NAS as well as the backup I create to local disk.

There are other databases on this SQL Server as well that I have backed up and moved to here so I know it isn't an environmental issue with this SQL Server.

Unfortunately this database is 800gig in size otherwise I would attempt to restore it to another SQL Server. I don't have that much free space on any other SQL Server.

• Is this thread of any help?

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1279635-266-1.aspx

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (7/30/2014)

Is this thread of any help?

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1279635-266-1.aspx

Yes I saw this post before I started mine. Not of any help.

• Recap...

So restore database with backup on NAS = fail

Restore database with backup on backend storage = fail

Restore database from vendor backup = fail

Restore database from newly created backup after vendor backup restored to NAS storage = fail

Are we missing any scenarios you have tried that have failed?

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (7/30/2014)

Recap...

So restore database with backup on NAS = fail

Restore database with backup on backend storage = fail

Restore database from vendor backup = fail

Restore database from newly created backup after vendor backup restored to NAS storage = fail

Are we missing any scenarios you have tried that have failed?

Restore database with backup on NAS to NAS device... SUCCEED!

Everything else has failed.

• If you have another instance available try the following:

1. Restore vendor backup on default destination instance using NAS storage and run CHECKDB

2. Create a new backup of above database (include verify_option = true)

3. restore backup from step 2 on default destination instance using normal storage

4. restore backup from step 2 on another instance (using default storage)

5. restore vendor backup on another instance (using default storage)

From the previous posts you already know the outcome of some of these steps:

1. success (but what does CHECKDB report?)

2. success

3. fail

4. ??

5. ??

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
  • Can't do that. Reason being is the database is just over 800 GIG and I don't have another SQL2008R2 with that much space available to restore it to.

Right now I am importing all of the data from the NAS based database to our SQL Server. Once done I will run a CHECK Integrity on the NAS based database and see what it says about the database. The NAS device is quite slow as the data import has been running for 5 days now

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply