restore job failing with error

• I am trying to restore a database from a prod to a test server.

Prod SQL server is running under corp\domain_name1.

The test SQL server is running under test\domain_name2.

Now will this create issues??

I am trying to run this script as a job

RESTORE DATABASE [test_db_name]

FROM DISK = N'\\prod_server_name\drive$\sqldumps\prod_db_name.BAK' WITH FILE = 1, UNLOAD , STATS = 10, RECOVERY , REPLACE,

MOVE N'file_name' TO N'R:\SqlData\MSSQL\Data\test_db_name_data.mdf',

MOVE N'file_name_log' TO N'R:\SqlData\MSSQL\Data\test_db_name_log.ldf'

I am getting this error message.

BackupDiskFile::OpenMedia: Backup device '\\server_name\r$\sqldumps\prod_db_name.BAK' failed to open. Operating system error = 1326(Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.).

Any ideas ??

• Seems to be a permissions problem. You can run the following to validate that it has nothing to do with the restore;

RESTORE FILELISTONLY

FROM DISK = N'\\prod_server_name\drive$\sqldumps\prod_db_name.BAK'

If you can't run that it is definitely a permissions issue. Post back with your findings.

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Yes I believe that is hte issue.

The mesage I got was

Server: Msg 3201, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

Cannot open backup device '\\prod_server_name\drive$\sqldumps\Prod_db.BAK'. Device error or device off-line. See the SQL Server error log for more details.

Server: Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

RESTORE FILELIST is terminating abnormally.

The error log had this message.

BackupDiskFile::OpenMedia: Backup device '\\prod_server_name\drive$\sqldumps\Prod_db.BAK'failed to open. Operating system error = 1326(Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.).

• So this means that the issue is with server level permissions correct?

• Yes.

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Thank you very much David for the reply. I ended up writing a batch file to copy over the filefrom the Prod server and then doing the restore.

• Very glad that worked for you and thanks for following up on the post!

David

@SQLTentmaker

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply