Restore Failed - Database Stuck in Restore

• Hello everyone!

I'm restoring a sql2000 bak file into a new install of sql2005.  The restore failed and now the new database is stuck in restore mode.  The restore failed due to an incomplete zip file extraction. (i know, iknow, don't yell at me)

1. Can i just drop the database and start over (Hopefully with a good file this time)

2.  What if this were a production db i was restoring which failed.  How would i go about stopping the process and redoing a restore?

Thanks in advance for your input!

-r.

• Stuck in restore mode: It looks like you have choosen the NORECOVERY Option.....or not ?

I am not sure that I got your problem, anyway if the problem is caused by a corrupt zip file, I would delete the stucking DB. Get a working backup file and restore it again.

• Thanks for your advice!  I don't know if i used the NORECOVERY option.  I was able to drop the database and recreate then restore it from a good backup file.

• If no recovery option is specified in your command then it defaults to WITH RECOVERY...

I don't see any problem deleted the db and restoring it...but you can restore on top of db which is in loading status...

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• u can restore on that database itself with choosing hte option overwrite the existing database.

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply