Restore Database terminates: OLAPDB.REP file already exists

• Help! The restore of a AS-database with an four partitions large Cube (all partitions smaller than 2 gig) terminates. After having restored all of the 284 files the restore says: OLAPDB.REP: file already exists and terminates restoring. puuh.

Ralf

• Is this similar to what you're seeing in your restore log?

29/09/2005 11:10:52 AM File: OLAPDB.REP (467KB)

29/09/2005 11:10:52 AM Removing old database information.

29/09/2005 12:10:54 PM File already exists

If so, then we encounter this reasonably frequently also.  At the moment, all I can put this down to is that a user has a query executing against one fot he cubes in the restore target database.  This query must be holding some level of lock over the database, note that when you restore it looks like it creates an alternate DB which upon restore gets renamed and the prior one deleted.  Because of the lock/s, the old one doesn't get deleted and the new file can't be saved.

There is a simple solution that may work for you but is potentially unfriendly to end users - if you're restoring via a sql agent job, in the step prior to calling msmdarch, do a service restart on your AS service.  This kils all current connections, and *hpefully* no-one reconnects between when the service restarts and you start to restore.

An alternate (yet untested for me anyway)solution is to apply AS SP4, wich provides for a (new registry setting for a) timeout on the waiting for obtaining  a lock, which menas that your restore process should then fail in a known timeframe (ie because it can't get a lock) and you can then do re-try attempts.  One of the things you may have noticed when encoutnering this issue is that some days it's not an issue, and other days it is, on the days it is, the scheduled restore doesn't return success (or failure) for minutes, and soemtimes ~ 2hrs.

An obvious alternate again is to process your cubes locally choosing a method that leaves the existing cube available for querying until the new one finishes and then it comes online.

HTH,

Steve.

• Hi Steve,

thank You for Your detailed information. No user was connected to the database. The least 8 logs were as follows:

Datei: P4.fact.data (620.297KB)

Datei: P4.pdr (0,0KB)

Datei: P4.prt (12KB)

Datei: REV.sec (1KB)

Datei: RW01.sec (0,0KB)

Datei: RW03.sec (1KB)

Datei: OLAPDB.REP (329KB)

Datei existiert bereits (means "File already exists")

Fortunately I had another copy of the database so I was able to recover the database.... Ralf

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply