Restore a 7.0 Backup to 2000

• Hello,

I have a 7.0 .BAK file from another facility, and I need to bring it in to our 2000 SQL Server. Will SQL Server 2000 automatically restore a 7.0 backup to 2000, AND, do I have to create the .mdf and .ldf files FIRST, before restoring, even though this DB has never existed on our 2000 SQL Server before?

Here's the error I get:

Server: Msg 5105, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

Device activation error. The physical file name 'd:\mssql7\data\EQDBtest.mdf' may be incorrect.

Server: Msg 3156, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

File 'eqdbdatData' cannot be restored to 'd:\mssql7\data\EQDBtest.mdf'. Use WITH MOVE to identify a valid location for the file.

Server: Msg 5105, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Device activation error. The physical file name 'd:\mssql7\data\EQDBtest_log.ldf' may be incorrect.

Server: Msg 3156, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

File 'eqdblog' cannot be restored to 'd:\mssql7\data\EQDBtest_log.ldf'. Use WITH MOVE to identify a valid location for the file.

Server: Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

Edited by - paulie_decesare on 08/09/2002 5:13:22 PM

• Should work, no you don't need to create the files first. In this case looks like you've got the files in the wrong place...or in the right place and you need to use with move.

Start with RESTORE FILELISTONLY to make sure you have the right logical names. Then build your restore statement using WITH MOVE for each file to tell SQL where to put it and what to call it in the file system.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Sounds good. I'll give that a try on Monday. Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply