Restore

• I heard it is possible to restore the SQL 2014 db backup to lower version of sql server (2012,2008r2), can any one one sent me the syntax of restoring the backup?

• ramyours2003 (3/5/2015)

I heard it is possible to restore the SQL 2014 db backup to lower version of sql server (2012,2008r2), can any one one sent me the syntax of restoring the backup?

Not as far as I know. Please post the link to your information source.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Thanks for the reply , I know its not possible but if it is possible would like to know the procedure of restoring from higher to lower version .

• Please tell us where you heard that it was possible.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• from one of my colleague he said by changing the compatibility mode while restoring the backup from sql 2014 to sql 2012

from one of my colleague he said by changing the compatibility mode while restoring the backup from sql 2014 to sql 2012

This will not work. Compatibility mode affects the features which are available, not the file structure.

• thanks for clarifying .

• Just to add another voice to confirm - you cannot do this - going "forward" is sadly impossible.

What your friend was probably thinking of is that you can take an older version's backup and restore it to a newer version's server, but using Compatibility Mode you can make it "look like" the older version still.

I heard it is possible to restore the SQL 2014 db backup to lower version of sql server (2012,2008r2)

It's not possible. It's never been possible. Databases cannot be restored or attached down-version.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

from one of my colleague he said by changing the compatibility mode while restoring the backup from sql 2014 to sql 2012

Then he's either lying or he never actually tried it.

Compatibility level just affects how the query processor handles certain T-SQL constructs. Nothing else.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Thanks for the reply , I know its not possible but if it is possible would like to know the procedure of restoring from higher to lower version .

The only way of doing this is to use BCP (as an example) to export the data from the higher version and to import it into the lower.

Your colleague is most definitely wrong. As has been recently explained to me, the compatibility level does not change the underlying RDBMS upon which the database is installed, it only makes some of the features available in previous versions to the database in that compatibility mode.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply