restore 3169 error

• I am automating a restore procedure and i'm trying to trap errors as they happen.

But I cannot trap most errors because it only returns the last error : RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

I need to be able to get the 1st Msg code in a try... catch. so that I can report more accurately  ie: 3169

I have tried the following but no error exists in there

EXEC xp_ReadErrorLog 0, 1, N'3169', NULL,@ErrorDatetime,@ErrorDatetimePlusSecond,N'DESC'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Msg 3169, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

The database was backed up on a server running version 15.00.2000. That version is incompatible with this server, which is running version 13.00.5492. Either restore the database on a server that supports the backup, or use a backup that is compatible with this server.

Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

Msg 3169, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

The database was backed up on a server running version 15.00.2000. That version is incompatible with this server, which is running version 13.00.5492. Either restore the database on a server that supports the backup, or use a backup that is compatible with this server.

Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

Darryl Wilson
    darrylw99@hotmail.com

• Dunno if this is any good as a suggestion, but if you DROP the database before the restore or it doesn't exist, then if the database exists after the restore then presumably the restore was successful. The [create_date] (in sys.databases) after restore will be a "now" date, rather than the original create date of the database the BACKUP file came from, and there are some flags in sys.databases that would be worth checking - e.g. [state] will be "0", and [state_desc] will be "ONLINE" if the database has finished restoring

That won't help you with capturing an actual error message, but might be sufficient for "Success/Fail"

But if you already have a carefully built structure for the database files, and you want to reuse / overwrite that, then DROP would not be appropriate

There is also data in the Restore History

SELECT ...
    FROMmsdb.dbo.restorehistory AS RH
    LEFT OUTER JOIN msdb.dbo.restorefile AS RF
    ON RF.restore_history_id = RH.restore_history_id
    LEFT OUTER JOIN msdb.dbo.restorefilegroup AS RG
    ON RG.restore_history_id = RH.restore_history_id
    LEFT OUTER JOIN msdb.dbo.backupset AS BS
    ON BS.backup_set_id = RH.backup_set_id
    LEFT OUTER JOIN msdb.dbo.backupfile AS BF
    ON BF.backup_set_id = RH.backup_set_id
    LEFT OUTER JOIN msdb.dbo.backupmediaset AS BMS
    ON BMS.media_set_id = BS.media_set_id
    LEFT OUTER JOIN msdb.dbo.backupmediafamily AS BMF
    ON BMF.media_set_id = BS.media_set_id
    WHERE1=1
    AND RH.destination_database_name = N'MyDatabaseName'
    ORDER BY RH.restore_date DESC
    , RF.file_number DESC

But that will only tell you files that were restored, not whether they were successful. I haven't tried the error you got, but maybe NOTHING would be found in the Restore History? If so that could be a useful indication that the restore failed

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply