Responding to the Call of the Wild

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Responding to the Call of the Wild

Best wishes,
    Phil Factor

• Terrific metaphor, thanks for writing this.

"Prevaricate" -- Word of the day !

• I enjoyed the article.  Fun read.

I do have a different take on one point.  Oftentimes when I face a thorny problem, I find it helpful to take a break.  While I'm working on something else, my subconscious mind is working on the thorny problem.  Often enough, when I come back to the problem that baffled me initially, I either have a solution or a good way to move forward.  (A better way of moving forward than if I had tried to bull doze my way through the problem at first glance.)

Using your fun analogy: Animal trainers often have to finesse a problem.  If you aren't getting the behavior you want, you take a break and assess the situation.  Later you give it a try again, but with a different set up or different goals or different reinforcements.  Effective non-verbal communication means meeting the learner (computer?) at their level, which might mean taking a break and thinking how to do that.

I'm probably pushing the analogy too far.  I just thought I would make a point.

Thanks for the fun read.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply