Resources for learning SQL Server 2005: Suggestions?

• I just took the opportunity at my company to move over to becoming a DBA. We are mostly a Oracle shop, but we are seeing a growing need for Microsoft SQL. We do not have any Microsoft SQL DBA's, so I jumped at the opportunity to become a DBA. Granted, I know our shop will be probably 35-40% Microsoft, the rest Oracle, but I am ok with that. I look at it as a opportunity to learn A LOT.

With that, I was hoping to get some suggestions for resources on the web, such as websites (like here), blogs, RSS feeds.

I am a huge fan of RSS feeds as it is part of my daily routine to keep up to date, learn new things, tips and tricks etc.

Does anyone have suggestions for any of that? Need to hit the ground running.

Thanks.

• Sites such as this one are good for general knowledge. Depending on time, you could go back through old articles and see what you learn. We have feeds for all the various categories.

We also publish the Database Weekly newsletter that goes through about 100 feeds, removes duplicates, etc. You might go through those and see if there are places that meet your needs. Most of them have feeds. We don't have a central feed for that site yet, but it's coming.

• Steve Jones - Editor (1/21/2008)

Sites such as this one are good for general knowledge. Depending on time, you could go back through old articles and see what you learn. We have feeds for all the various categories.

We also publish the Database Weekly newsletter that goes through about 100 feeds, removes duplicates, etc. You might go through those and see if there are places that meet your needs. Most of them have feeds. We don't have a central feed for that site yet, but it's coming.

Thanks. I appreciate it very much.

I can signup for the newsletter here? I would very much like to look at that.

Thanks.

• Check out the "step-by-step" books from Microsoft Press as well as their various certification training guides. Additionally, Microsoft has a tremendous number of webcasts, white papers, and other resources available at the SQL Server home page (http://www.microsoft.com/sql/default.mspx).

From a book perspective, http://www.bookpool.com has a sale currently going on for Microsoft Press books at 40+% off list.

• Personally, I found "SQL Server 2005 Bible", by Paul Nielsen (www.isnotnull.com), very easy to read and incredibly helpful in learning SQL.

I found the related "... for Dummies" books to be so simple as to be useless.

I also spent (and still spend) a LOT of time in Books Online and MSDN getting details about things. BOL and MSDN articles often assume you know more than a begginer often does, but once you catch up to them, they are very useful.

Another page that has interesting and useful information on it is http://www.simple-talk.com. That, like SQL ServerCentral, is by RedGate. The workshops by Robyn Page and Phil Factor on there are excellent.

Other than that, I mainly recommend SQL ServerCentral.

And, welcome to the wild and wooly world of being a DBA. 🙂

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Glad someone asked this question. I'm in the same boat. A chance to be a DBA tossed in my lap. I took it. I'm using a training website my company pays for and various books. My boss is a wiz at most stuff and is starting me off on database maintenance for now, and working me up to bigger stuff a little at a time. SQL Server central will be useful I'm sure.

• Steve Jones - Editor (1/21/2008)

Sites such as this one are good for general knowledge.

Steve is a bit modest with what he said. I would say that this is "the site" you can learn SQL Server from. I would say to start with the daily question and expand your knowledge around that. Then whatch the forum discussions and find out what issues a SQL DBA could have and what is the best approach to solve them.

A good book to start with is "Pro SQL Server 2005" by Thomas Rizzo &Co - get the general points from here.

Good luck

• Pick up this set of books, MCITP Self-Paced Training Kit - ISBN 13 978-0-7356-2377-4, three book set plus tests, etc. I've been chewing through it over the last couple of weeks and have found each book to be well written and concise.

Even if you're not planning on getting certified the 3 book pack will save you some $ (currently $83 on Amazon).

Joe

• In my humble opinion, this is the best online resource available.

http://www.sql-server-performance.com is decent.

Download the latest BOL, I refer to it quite often.

As a previous poster stated the "SQL Server 2005 Bible" is a really good book.

Good luck in your new endeavor.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply