Resource semaphore Query Compile and Maxdop Setting SQL 2014

• Thanks for your valuable inputs.

in old serverSQL 2008 R2 is using all 32 physical cores.

in new server SQL 2014 is using 16 physical cores or 32 logical cores.

Per our infrastructure team, newer cpu's are faster but still we are reduced to half physical cores compared to old server and also Hyper threading is enabled on new server but its disabled on old server. we also do lot of reporting workload.

For now we have changed the compatibility mode of all databases to 100, we will check the performance and will update once i have more information.

• Robin35 (11/23/2016)

Thanks for your valuable inputs.

Per our infrastructure team, newer cpu's are faster but still we are reduced to half physical cores compared to old server and also Hyper threading is enabled on new server but its disabled on old server. we also do lot of reporting workload.

For now we have changed the compatibility mode of all databases to 100, we will check the performance and will update once i have more information.

Sorry to be blunt, but you REALLY REALLY REALLY need to get someone on board that knows what they are doing!!! How is changing the compatibility level of databases going to change the licensing limits of the server? How is it going to get you out of the GROSSLY unbalanced CPU configuration you are currently hobbled with?? Depending on how old your 2008 server is and which CPUs you have in the old and new box the 16 physical cores it has could very well blow away the performance of your 32 old ones.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• TheSQLGuru (11/23/2016)

Robin35 (11/23/2016)

Sorry to be blunt, but you REALLY REALLY REALLY need to get someone on board that knows what they are doing!!! How is changing the compatibility level of databases going to change the licensing limits of the server? How is it going to get you out of the GROSSLY unbalanced CPU configuration you are currently hobbled with?? Depending on how old your 2008 server is and which CPUs you have in the old and new box the 16 physical cores it has could very well blow away the performance of your 32 old ones.

Thank you. We upgraded the standard edition to Enterprise last Wednesday to use all the CPU cores. Performance as of now it back to normal. We are planning to restore some database with different name and change it to 2014 compatibility mode to test the performance of 2008 vs 2014. At this point, we believe that it's an issue with 2014 CE but not sure.

• Robin35 (11/28/2016)

TheSQLGuru (11/23/2016)

Robin35 (11/23/2016)

Thank you. We upgraded the standard edition to Enterprise last Wednesday to use all the CPU cores. Performance as of now it back to normal. We are planning to restore some database with different name and change it to 2014 compatibility mode to test the performance of 2008 vs 2014. At this point, we believe that it's an issue with 2014 CE but not sure.

Wow. 30 cores of SQL Server Enterprise License when you almost certainly could have gotten performance equal to the old box by simply rebalancing your Standard Edition cores across the CPUs.

Good news is that now you have access to all of the memory as well as the CPUs. You did remember to reset the max memory setting I hope. 🙂

Given what I have seen and heard so far I am betting there is more at fault here than just the new cost estimation engine. I still recommend you get a professional tuner on board if you are still having problems with that box on Enterprise Edition.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply