resore db

• Hi everyone,

I have a "myBackup.bak" file on my hard disk. I backed it from a db called "abc". Now i want to restore it into a db called: "def".

From right-click menu on "def" i select "tasks" then "restore" and "myBackup.bak" from its' location on my hard disk.

I get an error message that says: "The backup set holds a backup of a database other than the exixting 'def' database'.

Other words: I can only restore it to its' original db.

Is there a way to resore a database to a location other then the original ?

Thanks

• you can change the files under the restore as found in the options

• Thanks. I tried all options:

These are the options:

1. Overwrite the existing database.

Selecting this option, the database "abc" was removed and replaced by the backuped one. I wanted

db: "def" to be replaced and keep "abc" as is.

2.Preserve the application settings. I recieved an Error message!

3. Prompt before restoring each backup: Error message !

4. Restrict access to the restored db: Error !

Any other option ?

Thanks

• Type the name of the DB you want it restored as at the top of the restore dialog.

You're probably right-clicking the database 'abc' and selecting restore. Don't. Right click the database folder in object explorer and select restore.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks Gail.

Here is what i do to produce an error message in details:

1. Right "def" database, select "tasks" and then: "restore" and then: "database";

2. At "Restore database - def" window , at: "To database" combo box i select "def";

3. I select "From device" and then i click "Add" and then i select the file: "abc.bak" from its' location on my hard disk and i click "OK";

4. From a list of 10 backups that were made in various dates, I select the last one;

5. At "options" window i select: "Overwrite the existing database" and then i click "OK";

As a result I get an error message that says: "The file: 'c:\Program files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\a.mdf' cannot be overwritten. It is being used by database 'a'.

Is there anything i made above that is inconsistent with what you suggested ?

Thanks

• Go to the options tab and change the location of the files for the newly restored DB.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • try something like this

restore database def from disk = 'BAK file name'

with move 'DEF_Data' to 'DEF_New_data.MDF',

move 'DEF_Log' to 'DEF_New_log.ldf'

'BAK file name' = the fully qualified path to the existing .BAK file

'DEF_New_data.MDF' = the fully qualified path to the new database file

'DEF_New_log.ldf' = the fully qualified path to the new log file

change the DEF_New part to a file name that is not currently in use

• Detach the "def" database first by right-clicking on it and selecting detach, and then use the restore script that Bill Scott posted.

If you specify a different path to the current "def" database files in the "MOVE" part of Bill's script, you will be able to re-attach your "def" database at a later date (if required, and as long as you remove the existing "def" database). Otherwise, you can just delete the database.

• Have you tried restoring as 'def2'?

And as a seperate question, your not trying to restore the backup on a lower version of sql are you? (i.e the .bak files isnt from ss2k8 andn your trying to restore to 2k5).

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

• Hi Gail,

This is what i did.

I cleared off the SQLSERVER2005, opened the 2 folders on my disk and tried to drag

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\a_log.ldf

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\a.mdf

To the folder where a.bak is located "d:\a\a.bak.

I couldnt't do that. An error message showed up saying:"Cannot copy a: it is being used by another person

or program..."

I turned on SQLSERVER2005, right clicked "b" and selected "tasks" and "restore" and "database".

At "to database" i assigned "b", at "from device" I selected d:\a\a.bak and "OK".

At "select the backups sets" I selected the newest of the list then i selected "options", "Overwrite

the existing database" and at "restore the database files as" i changed:

c:\Program files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\a.mdf" to:

"d:\b\a.mdf" and c:\Program files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\a.ldf" to

"d:\b\a.ldf". Selecting "OK" did not yield any error this time ! I switched to the b database to check

that it exists and there it was, living and kicking !! I was not dreaming !

You made my dream come true and i'm truely grateful to you for that !

Thanks a lot !

• Thanks Bill,

It turned out that changing the path of the "ldf" and "mdf" file was the remedy to my dismay. Having changed their pass from c:\Program files... to where the "bak" file is located solved the problem. I guess this was your suggestion but i followed Gail's instructions and that how my problem was solved.

Thanks a lot to you too !

• Hi Duncan,

Bill's way was the right way as well as Gail's. I did it "the Gail's way" and things came back to order.

Thanks a lot to you and all the members who tried to help me.

Thanks !

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply