Resolving Users/Logins in Log Shipping

• Hi all,

I've been analysing our in-house Log Shipping documentation, which describes the failover/failback process (from Primary to Secondary and back again), but a comparison of the Technet document...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc966382.aspx

...highlights that ours makes no mention of login resolution.

We have two logins ('Archive' + 'Portal' that are common to both the primary and secondary servers, as well as two similarly named users, of which 'Archive' is the main app user.

But...when I check the 'Users' folder of any of the user db's, I noticed that only the 'Portal' user seems associated with the 'Portal' loginname - the corresponding value for the 'Archive' user is null.

Does any of this mean that, if we need to failover, the app won't be able to login to the Secondary server, even after being repointed by the applications team?

Thanks,

JB

• Anyone?

• it does suggest the archive user has become orphaned, that is it is no longer associated with a login as there is not a matching sid. therefore it would not be able to connect to the secondary

google sp_help_revlogin for the SQL2000 version (you are using sql2000?) and run that on your primary to produce the sql to recreate the archive login on the secondary. Then the login and user sids will match and the user will no longer be orphaned

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply