Reset sequences at 00H

• Hi

i have a .net program that based on the partnumber it creates a sequence  (if a sequence exists and if not he creates one).

he creates the sequence with the name "seq_partnumber"

example: seq_345765ab , seq_45123trw

i create a job to reset every sequence at midnight

alter sequence Seq_345765ab
    restart with 1
    alter sequence Seq_45123trw
    restart with 1
    alter sequence Seq_98234hjb
    restart with 1

what i want to know if it's possible to reset like this

alter sequence Seq_*

restart with 1

or another way that i can automatize the reset of  every sequence the program create.

now i have to add manually every sequence that is created

• No, you can't use wildcards in a DDL statement.  Either loop through the sequences and reset them one by one, or write a SELECT statement that generates all the ALTER SEQUENCE commands and execute them all in one go.

John

• John Mitchell-245523 wrote:

No, you can't use wildcards in a DDL statement.  Either loop through the sequences and reset them one by one, or write a SELECT statement that generates all the ALTER SEQUENCE commands and execute them all in one go.

John

might be possible, I've not tried it, but you could have a sequence field and then a persisted computed column that is seq_somevalue

alter table x add 'seq_'+somevalue as myfield persisted - look up the syntax , but you get the gist

you end up with a field that might look like you want.....

MVDBA

• You could use dynamic SQL.

Query sys.Sequences to get generate the ALTER SEQUENCE SQL statements & then EXEC that.

--Edit: Apologies: just noticed that John already suggested this

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  Phil Parkin.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply