Reset SA password

• Hi,

I have RDP access to windows server but i doesn't have access to SQL instance.
    I doesn't have SA password.
    How to connect to sql instance(SSMS) ?
    How to reset the SA pasword ?

Thank you !!

• adisql - Wednesday, September 27, 2017 4:27 PM

Hi,

I have RDP access to windows server but i doesn't have access to SQL instance.
    I doesn't have SA password.
    How to connect to sql instance(SSMS) ?
    How to reset the SA pasword ?

Thank you !!

Does anyone else have sysadmin access to the instance? That's the best way to handle that if you don't have access and/or sa password needs to be reset.
    If no one has sysadmin access, you can find the steps to address that in the following article - it requires restarting the service:
    Connect to SQL Server When System Administrators Are Locked Out

Sue

• Thanks Sue.
    No one have sysadmin access to the instance.

• adisql - Wednesday, September 27, 2017 4:56 PM

Thanks Sue.
    No one have sysadmin access to the instance.

Okay. That link above can walk you through the process.
    If you don't mind doing it from the command line, I think it's easier and might be less confusing. There is a Microsoft blog that has the steps to do it that way - it works with 2016 even though it's written for 2012:
    The “SQL Guy†Post # 30: How to Recover from a Lost SA Password in SQL Server 2012

They both basically do the same things so it's a matter of which ever way you are more comfortable with.

Sue

• Sue, I dont think the process (Connect to SQL Server When Sys...) works because my windows account  wasn't added as sql login.

• adisql - Wednesday, September 27, 2017 5:23 PM

Sue, I dont think the process (Connect to SQL Server When Sys...) works because my windows account  wasn't added as sql login.

You don't need a login to do it. Its assuming there are no sql or windows logins with access. The beginning of that article is confusing for a lot of people and it's not really necessary. It's just to run SQL Server Configuration Manager.
    You can do this instead: On the server, run SQL Server Configuration Manager as an administrator. Right click, run as administrator.
    And then go to number 4 in that list of steps.

Sue

• Thanks Sue.
    Let me try it .

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• You can quickly and easily reset the "sa" account to regain access to a SQL Server instance using the "Reset-DbaAdmin" command from the PowerShell module dbatools.

# PowerShell 5.0 or higher
    Install-Module dbatools
    Import-Module dbatools
    Reset-DbaAdmin -SqlInstance YourServer

#on named instance
    Reset-DbaAdmin -SqlInstance YourServer\InstanceName

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply